Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm need a little help with a 23xl

lost the compressor, got a quote from carrier (houston) then local carrier tach on a 11k extra fee, so I am gunna rebuild this one myself in the shop
    What I need is manual giving me bearing clearance spec
    thax in advance and stay cool

Before rebuilding this pump you need to know what failed and what caused it to fail.

I don’t think you have the specialty tools required to do this.

You’re going to spend a lot of time rebuilding this, what happens when you put it back on line and it fails again?

Buy a rebuilt with warranty and move on.

it was making noise then locked up, I have been many rebuilds in the past... just not a 23xl, if it fails its on me... no guts no glory! I have a tool list just not the bearing clearances

Hey bultaco,

I am not sure that Carrier rebuilds those in the field.

I know that we don't rebuild ours (trane) in the field. About the most that I have done to one of ours in the field is replace the rotor.

Maybe some of the Carrier guys will give opinion on how feasible it would be.

Not trying to put a damper on your project but I have never heard of them being rebuild in the field.

They are field rebuildable.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

they can be rebuilt but once it locked up it may be too late. rotors could be gone and or wore into the housing. I would send it to Houston, they will have a machine shop that will be probally be needed and core parts also. other than that have fun.

If it locked up good luck getting it apart. I once tore down completly a 380 ton RTHA compressor with Trane Engineers out in the field and it was no picnic getting it apart. My advice is don't try to be the hero and move on.

As stated before, its probablly tried to screw itself out of housing causing major damage if locked up. Also depends if IR or howden compressor for rebuild and parts. If it was made in Scotland its a howden.Also requires special tools for certain areas. We have pulled them apart while they were still running and done various things but once they are locked up consider it to be a boat anchor.
    Good Luck.

Howden has the thermister box on the top and IR has it on the side.

what is wrong with all you people
    going out on a limb and doing what they say cant be done is what this country is all about

just for the record, a rebuilt compressor is over 20k
    sending it to houton is 11k plus another 11k thax to my local carrier dealer
    a rebuild kit is 8k, you do the math

I dont neeed a business leason or a reason for someone else to do my work for me!!! you guys are the reason my phone rings off the hook

all I would like is some tech info, if you don't have any then thanks for readiing and go to the next post

I don't think your suppose to post prices on here for the general public to see. Other than that I say it's already broke, it can't get more broke. Might as well pull er apart and check out the inerds. Good luck.

with that attitude I wont even bother to look it up. alot of us on here is smart enough to know where to draw the line. somethings isnt as simple as just replacing bearings. there is upgrades done to those compressors in Houston that can not be done in the field. alot of screws once they get to the point they lock up is trashed. but you know more than any of us so you figure it out.

Thats not true I don't know , thats why I was asking people who do
    but it seemed to me , that all every one was telling me was to let someone else do the work, again I am a small business, but I get alot of business because people want to pass the buck.... Guys I am not trying to be a d#ck here, just looking for some tech info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast