Thread: renewaire ERV

renewaire ERV

I am just about finished installing my Rewaire ERV 130, just have a few more section of insulation to finish up with, but my question is related to the ERV as I will be calling Renewaire next week hopefully Monday or Tuesday.

What I would like to know, is if there's a way of controlling the ERV so that it runs only when there no call for heat ? The reason being is that when there's a call for heat and the ERV is running the return duct that I am currently using is not large enough to handle both the 130 CFM's plus the cold air the furnace is pulling in (roughly 430 CFM's) when in low fire (70% of the time)+ the 130 CFM's in the return that is approximately 11" X 11". So for a temp fix until I move to my next project which will include a separate return for the ERV built into my down stair closet I need to have the ERV run only when the furnace isn't calling for heat. My furnace is the Infinity 58MVC 60K. Any suggestion for a temp. fix?

I can't really help with your question but which installation method are you using ?

With the simplified method, where two of the ERV ports (stale air from building and fresh air to building) are connected to the return, you should not have any increase in air flow, right ?

Nope I have a dedicated install in my attic with the fresh air going to my return and the stale air exhausted thru it own port to the outside. I was thinking about my original ? and see that it doesn't make any sense now that I have re-read it. I guess what I am gonna have to do is probably fish or snake a separate duct down my chimney to split the space that I am currently using for a return for my upstairs with a 8" oval coming form the ERV and the vacant space left in the chimney used for the return air for the upstairs until I can get to building my closet and include a separate return for one of them. Not sure it's even worth doing, rather just toughing it out until I build the closet.

The only problem I am having right now is that when the ERV is running there's no return air going back to the furnace from the upstairs because the chimney is'nt capable of carrying all the required CFM's down the chimney as it is only approximately 11"X 11" and that's not large enough to carry the 130-CFM's from the ERV and return air from the upstairs. I'll figure it out one way or another.