Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910
    Yes Beenthere that is sometimes true but that's really it though what other ways do we have to check out the installers companies? (although an 'F' on bbb means something probably isn't good)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulina View Post
    Yes Beenthere that is sometimes true but that's really it though what other ways do we have to check out the installers companies? (although an 'F' on bbb means something probably isn't good)
    Do a search on the BBB. They were caught "selling" ratings. Even sold ratings to fake companies.

While an F rating is something to be leary of, even an A rating doesn't tell you anything, since it could have been bought.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I usually look at complaints more then ratings as I noticed that even with a complaint some businesses said A+ as long as they were paying members of BBB but in the case of our Lennox here there were 3 complaints involving what seemed to be maybe defective merchandise although I couldn't see the details enough to know the particulars

Quote Originally Posted by Paulina View Post
    I usually look at complaints more then ratings as I noticed that even with a complaint some businesses said A+ as long as they were paying members of BBB but in the case of our Lennox here there were 3 complaints involving what seemed to be maybe defective merchandise although I couldn't see the details enough to know the particulars
    And it may be that they just didn't pay for a longer membership.

And remember, they aren't lennox, they are just a dealer.
    Contractor locator map

West Coast of Canada - Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The BBB is not a good place to find out how good a company is.
    Wow - I bet they'd never admit to that. A lot of Consumers here think it's a good place to start.

How would you Qualify a Vendor / Distributor / Contractor?

Quote Originally Posted by -Jim- View Post
    Wow - I bet they'd never admit to that.

No they won't, after all, They are in Business to make money.

A lot of Consumers here think it's a good place to start.

How would you Qualify a Vendor / Distributor / Contractor?
    For a contractor, look at the references they give, call or go to them and see what they say. References that are recent, and installed 2 3, or 4 years ago.

Vendors and distributors, see what other contractors say about them.
    Contractor locator map

Cool Sound mitigation panels / enclosures - Anyone?

Folks,

I guess it had to happen as the system was working perfectly.

I was away on Business last week and my wife had a visit from a neighbor I've only talked to twice in the last 10 years or so since they bought their house behind ours.

Their backyard overlooks our backyard and the slope of the land is quite uphill in that direction. There are 2 retaining walls with set-backs, and his backyard slopes downhill towards ours by another 5 feet or so as I remember. I'd guess the rear basement of his house is about 15 feet above the Heat Pump and maybe 100 feet away. (Maybe more.)

The neighbor came by to tell us he's having trouble sleeping at night due to the noise of our Air Conditioner (Heat Pump). His house gets hot so he opens his rear facing second story window, and the noise makes it tough for him to sleep. My wife asked why it's bothering him now as this is the second summer we've had it and last year was hotter as well. He had no comment. (Of course in the winter there is no issue.) I had my wife throttle back some settings so in the short term the Heat Pump will run less. (It also has been cool & rainy so it's not on much at all at night.)

So I'm going to investigate both sound mitigation panels / enclosures and Coquitlam code requirements for noise limits in case something's changed since install.

Do you have any suggestion on what Lennox offer or an alternate?

Thanks for the assist.

Wow tough break Jim! Sounds like he's pretty far away from it too. Do you think it's loud? I am still just about to make a decision whether to buy one of these units because they are supposed to be the 'quietest' and mine is MUCH closer to my neighbors house (& their front door!) which is why I was actually looking at turning the heating function off & just using it in the summer if I bought the hi efficiency furnace. But can't avoid using the A/C in the summer so I hope you find a way - my brother put a 'blanket' of some kind that you can buy for these units on his old a?c & said it worked really well. Let me know what happens I am very interested.

Cool

I thought I should update this Thread.

Last July I called the Service Department for Gandy Installations and they said they'd come over to investigate the excess noise as soon as a Technician was available. So a week or so later, a service rep (I never met him before) came and advised the noise was because Coleman forgot to install a gasket under the Fan Grill, and there was some other parts in a "Quiet Kit" he would order and then come back to install. He said it would take a couple weeks or so to get the parts in, and then another week to schedule him back to install.

Well by the time that cycle was over it was about Labour Day, and it had started to cool off enough here in Vancouver that the Heat Pump wasn't cooling very often. So I let it go for a while, but in October I called the Service Department again, and the lady said she couldn't understand why the Technician didn't follow up so she gave me his cell phone number. I called and got voice mail, so I left a message. So I left it for another month but got no reply, and in November I called the Service Department again, and advised the situation again. The lady said she'd look into it and they'd get back to me once the parts were ordered and in hand.

So I left it over Christmas and eventually my Wife noticed the noise was louder than ever (it was now pumping Heat in). So in January I again went back to the Service Department, and they said they had no record of the parts being ordered, and they'd have to send another Technician to investigate as there were no notes on my file from the first Tech.

So a week into Februray a different Technician comes out and investigate. He says we must be the most patient people in the world as that was the loudest unit he'd ever heard. He was surprised I hadn't tried to fix it myself (I'm a licensed Journeyman Electrician (Industrial) and my son is a Journeyman Sheet Metal Worker) but I explain it's got a 10 year parts & labour warranty and I'm not about to lose that by attempting my own repairs. (My Wife would never let me forget it if this happened...)

Anyway, he checks it out and says the prior Technician was wrong as there is no parts or "Quiet Kit" from Lennox to mitigate the noise. He said most of the noise is coming from the Fan Grill rattling against the Case. (I had already figured this out but didn't want to lose the warranty by tinkering with it.) He said this unit already has custom fitted noise abatement blanket surrounding the compressor unit, and adding another aftermarket unit wouldn't really be effective. He said he wasn't familiar with noise panels, but if we were to bulid an enclosure, I would need to allow about 4 feet of headroom as not to pre-load the Fan when it runs.

He then went down to his truck and came back with four 3 inch foam strips which he put between the Grill and the Case. The noise dropped dramatically as the rattle was almost completely gone. (I'm a bit concerned about the long term life of the foam strips.) He then went inside and checked the settings at the Furnace, and we discussed the Fan settings. He said Coleman had adjusted them off Factory settings to compensate for the Banging of the Ductwork which Gandy had to change out. (See earlier in this Thread) The slower Fan speed and ramp causes the Heat Pump to work a bit harder, and longer, therefore making more noise for all to hear; so I agreed to follow his recomendations (warranty impact if not??) and he put them back to factory defaults.

We then discussed the overall system, and he too agreed the outside thermometer, which feeds information to the Thermostat (which I had replaced once already) is crap as it wanders far too much. It can be more than 3 or 4 degrees off what is really the temperature outside. The accuracy can really affect the operation of the system, particularly as you near the crossover point between the Heat Pump and Gas Furnace. Here in Metro Vancouver there are a lots of Winter days were the temperature is hovering near freezing and accuracy in operation would lower costs. IMHO the Temperature Probe errors colder most often (I have a separate weather station outside which closely follows the local official government weather station data.)

Anyway, he buttoned up his truck and was gone in less than an hour. So far no one is complaining about noise and we are still warm and toasty inside.

I guess the real noise test will be this summer when it's hot and the neighbors windows are open at night.

Cool

Paulina,

I would not have an issue with Gandy but I really think the Heat Pump is the right way to go => especially here in the lower mainland. I've spent considerable hours doing the research, and even with my tale of woe, and that of my Friend (an Electrical Engineer), we'd both still go for the Lennox Heat Pump (as it's the Quietest unit out there) and Lennox Furnace combo. (The G61MPV, although very lightly used, has been rock solid.)

Your Heating costs drop to about one tenth as much as Natural Gas (based on the BC rates for both a couple years back) with a Heat Pump, and you get the side benefit of AC in the Summertime. You also get a Rebate on the Heat Pump which may put the costs near the wholesale price for an AC unit. Go for a XP15 as the XPG units does not give you control at the Thermostat as the Brains inside the XPG unit oversides it. (My control was retrofitted by Gandy to an XP15. )

Do you know that in some applications an Electric Back-up is all that's needed => instead of a Gas Furnace? In particular smaller well insulated houses (like my Brother-in-Law's) uses a Lennox Electric back up for his System too. (Boy I'm statring to sound like a Lennox Sales person ...) One of the benefits of electric is the Heat Pump is set to work in tandem with the electric backup all the way down to -5C. (BC Hydro data indicates 80% of the available heating energy is still available at this temperature => so the Heat Pump will provide 80% of the heat in these instances below freezing.) There are only a few times each year where temperaures here remain below -5. (I think it was only 13 times on average if my memory is correct.)

I like the "System" warranty (Heat Pump & Furnace) and if Gandy will give you 10 years - parts and labour - with no service contract you may want to go for it there instead of Costco. I did notice a different Heating Company at the Poco Costco a week or so back. (I didn't catch the name.) You may want to compare them via Costco to Gandy direct for the best deal.

If you want to discuss more, just PM me a local telephone number. I'm off to Canadian Tire this afternoon for an oil change. (More Joy...)

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Paulina, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

The rules have changed since this thread first started.
    Contractor locator map

Thread closed to prevent other Non Pro * members that have contributed to this thread, from posting by mistake.
    Contractor locator map

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910