Ice rink chiller low suction on one compressure causing it to trip compresser?

Haveing a problem with York chiller. It was oragnialy design for chilled water only. But York said it would be ok to run with glycol with low temps glycol. There is 1 Wcompesser and 1-Vcompressed system runs on R22normal opertion is suction pressure23# on one comprsser the other for some reason operates at 10psi suction. One comp is operating at suction 10# and trips on low suction the other 23# and works ok. THE expension valve has been changed 2x. And all seems ok for a while then sunction drops on one compresser drops I notice that expension is frosted. There is alos a solnoin on this t solnoid is passing?

York is right there will be no problems with the equipment - The problems your facing is adaption of the system to your desired application. Step 1 would be to forget about reading pressures and read temperatures only.. An ASHRAE dude said once "The only time a good tech uses pressure is to check for leaks" . Step 2 would be to make all adjustments on your controls for your desired temp... Be sure to find out what is the exact freezing temp. of water in your area...32 degrees is freezing at sea level only .., water freezes at 28 degrees where I am right now. Your saturation temp. must never go above this temp. Note - you may have to replace some controls for your application.
    "Rock-n-Roll " Ain't noise pollution..

ice at the tx doesnt concern me much. you are running probalby a zeroish degree evap to make your glycol leave the evap at what 15 f for an ice rink, maybe a tad lower. it would seem that you have flow, transfer, or control setting issues. i would look at controls first. forget looking at gages in that low range, especially if the machine was converted.

Quote Originally Posted by echo20 View Post
    Haveing a problem with York chiller. It was oragnialy design for chilled water only. But York said it would be ok to run with glycol with low temps glycol. There is 1 Wcompesser and 1-Vcompressed system runs on R22normal opertion is suction pressure23# on one comprsser the other for some reason operates at 10psi suction. One comp is operating at suction 10# and trips on low suction the other 23# and works ok. THE expension valve has been changed 2x. And all seems ok for a while then sunction drops on one compresser drops I notice that expension is frosted. There is alos a solnoin on this t solnoid is passing?
    It would be difficult for anyone to give accurate suggestions when we don't have pressures, temps, compressor model numbers, etc. I'm going to guess that there are multiple problems. Suction pressures seems low for both circuits on ice rinks. Glycol will decrease heat transfer and lower suction pressures, have you tested your glycol levels? Do both compressors service the same evaporator heat loads and are both compressors the same size? I could ask even more questions, but that probably wouldn't help.

Did York know that you would be running such "low" pressures? Assuming that both compressors are sized proportionally to their respective loads, they should run similar pressures and temps. Do you have the same liquid pressure at the inlet of each TXV? Check suction superheat at exit of evaporator loads and at compressors. Both circuits should be similar, 5-12 degrees at evap and approx 20 degrees at compressor service valve. These superheats are only estimates, however they shouldn't be grossly different.

Compare each circuit and see where this is a big difference. Sorry that I couldn't be more help. Can your service manager assist you?

Quote Originally Posted by echo20 View Post
    Do these york compressors have a filter under the suction service valve like a Carrier or Carlyle? If answer is yes then I would check that and compare superheat readings between both circuits.