Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    next week i have to change 2 zone valves on some rads in a high rise apartment.We just took over this building and here is the problem.There are no isolation valves for the rad.The only isolation valves are at the risers which would cut heat off to 10 apartments. My question is there anyway to remove these valves without shutting down a whole wing of the building. I tried to talk landlord into waiting till spring.These rads are just in the bedrooms and they have lots of heat in the rest of the apartment. I figure as soon as i drain down a riser that is when all the problems will start,air locks etc. Any suggestions?

On smaller copper lines you can sometimes use a pinch off tool. You can also call a company to freeze the lines, but that can be expensive.

GOOD LUCK
    The fact is, you have to shut down the wing like it or not there is no other reasonable way. You better hope the main valve hold also. I would install sucution ball valves and then you have a way to isolate the unit and do your thing.
    The good thing with sucution ball valves, you dont have to solder them in, its fast and easy even if the lines are leaking by.

what type of valve are you replacing.
    some valves,like the b and g zone valve,have a replacable
    valve kit so the valve body does not have to be changed
    you can close your header valves,relase positive water pressure ,allowing water to still be in the piping

Originally posted by bku46
    GOOD LUCK
    The fact is, you have to shut down the wing like it or not there is no other reasonable way. You better hope the main valve hold also. I would install sucution ball valves and then you have a way to isolate the unit and do your thing.
    The good thing with sucution ball valves, you dont have to solder them in, its fast and easy even if the lines are leaking by.

What is a "sucution" ball valve?

If it's water in the system I would freeze it. A co2 freeze kit costs about 4 to 5 hundred bucks. There are some threads in the tips forum about this.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

many zone valves, taco & HW you just change the head
    R2B4BTU

Then again, if you gotta drain & pruge well, you get paid by the hr and it's not your fault the system was designed with no foresight of servicability. Beats bein on a snowy roof all day!

R2B4BTU

Question

Same question, What is a suction ball valve?
    "My hands are for sale"

Talking

sounds like a co2 freeze kit is the winner .i did alot of work in a local hosp with basically same problem got them to buy a kit and worked great but make sure you have alot of co2

Originally posted by mrhvacmechanic
    Same question, What is a suction ball valve?
    sounds kinky whatever they are
    R2B4BTU

If you had valves they would probably crusted up and leak through and make a bigger mess than you have.

just like the others, but do you install the suction ball valve with a white or bluue sky hook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast