Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: SCAM ALERT!

Post Likes
    I got several calls from a collection agency on my direct number for my dock construction business. Figured it was a scam but did some checking and it was for real. I don't owe anyone money so I called them back, gave them the number they called and turned out to be for someone I didn't know.

I get calls all the time at home claiming to be from Microsoft and they detected my computer is infected and they need to access it remotely to fix it. I have an IT degree so I love when I get these calls. I have a virtual PC set up just for them. What they do is pretend to find issues with your PC and give you various levels of cost to have them clean your system. I'll make up credit card numbers on the fly. They'll fail and I'll make up another number. This goes on for a while and eventually they'll run syskey on the system which encrypts the passwords in the sam database requiring a password to for the system to start up. They'll then hold your system ransom until you pay up. It's amazing how many people fall for this. They almost got my FIL. He called me asking if I could help the guy. He was already remoted into his PC working on it. Had his pull the power and battery immediately. He was lucky.

My home phone system has about 300 blocked numbers from just the last year from scammers. So tired of it.

Post Likes
    yikes

Post Likes
    Good to know

Post Likes
    Will surely pass this information along. Been getting a lot of emails like this just recently.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info.

Post Likes
    I have heard this kind scam story almost all type fields. I get this kind email regularly.

7. Likes kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Someone got my sister with a similar scam.

Post Likes
    Call me whatever, but I use the same filter for spam emails as I do spam calls. If the English is messed up, hang up. Then I got a call from an actual American trying to pull a credit card scam. Anyhow, none of them are all that slick. Just asking a few questions can unravel the best scams. But the last one was automated and made to sound like Wells Fargo. They almost got me.

Post Likes
    I'm surprised at the number of people that will click on anything they see. But, i have to admit, some of these scam emails are clever.

Post Likes
    Gotta make a habit of hovering over a link and seeing what the address actually is before clicking on it. I seem to be getting more and more of those scam emails.

Quote Originally Posted by cbpelikan View Post
    I'm surprised at the number of people that will click on anything they see. But, i have to admit, some of these scam emails are clever.
    A skilled Tech would solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Good thread... thanks for the head's up on these scams. Will keep my eye open.

Post Likes
    Got one from "ITunes Apple" Notice the caps. They wanted me to confirm through a link, an auto billing charge. Went to iTunes through my account, it was a scam.

Post Likes
    Got a message yesterday 'from Chase' saying my access was being cancelled. All I had to do was click here to regain full privileges. Yeah right.
    A skilled Tech would solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast