Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 66

Thread: SCAM ALERT!

  1. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    36
    I was just going to post a new thread when I saw the sticky.
    Here is the e mail
    I need a split air condition unit

    Below are the specifications required;

    a.. Ductless Mini Split Wall Mounted Unit [Cooling only]

    a.. Capacity 17,000BTU [1.5 ton]

    a.. 230V

    a.. My budget is about $2,500 per unit

    a.. Quantity required 3pcs [3 indoor and 3 outdoor units]

    a.. No Line sets and accessories

    a.. My favorite brands are Mitsubishi, Sanyo, LG or any durable brand

    a.. No installation, No warranty required



    Kindly get back to me with pricing and how long it will take to have them

    ordered in. I demand quality made products at fair prices. Am buying

    this unit as a gift for a friend. Am willing to pay upfront before you

    order units in. Exclude cost of shipping from quote since i will be

    picking them up from your location.



    Look forward to you response.



    Regards,

    Carol Rothman



    From: Diversified Air Email Address Removed
    Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:14 AM
    To: Carol Rothman
    Subject: Re: air conditioning quote status



    Hi Carol,

    What quote are you referring to?

    Thank You

    Jim Fisher

    ----- Original Message -----

    From: Carol Rothman

    To: Email Address Removed

    Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:35 AM

    Subject: air conditioning quote status



    I still haven't heard from you concerning the quotation. Let me hear from you Carol
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 02-01-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Email Address Removed

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the Greatest State Of CONFUSION OKLAHOMA
    Posts
    87

    Whole story and status 3-21-10

    Quote Originally Posted by FarleyRedfield View Post
    Another Scam is Extended Warranties from Equi guard. If you have any form this bunch they are belly up AGAIN. Just as they were 20 to 30 years ago. Now another holding co has them and will as usual pay pinnies on the dollars of your service. A great scam to put ones kids through college with. about every 20 to 30 years these guys go belly up. I wont buy warranties again until I see a company named "Scam Me Not" in business.
    Here is the fine example of a "push Pull", "Hide n Seek", "Nut - shell Game"
    AUG 2009 Installed. Heatcraft Freezer we piped in and connected and started. (McDonalds)

    Oct 2009 Customer called with problem on-Found 1 fan motor not running and motor was open and it had power. Clear not an install problem. Ordered and replaced fan motor Heatcraft said "No Labor warranty From Us, see Equi-Guard"
    ALso discovered at same time on the Condenser A bad vibration caused by A condenser fan blade or motor. Clear also not from our install, Ordered parts and corrected both. Heatcraft again: "No Labor warranty From Us, see Equi-Guard ". No problem and claims filed

    Nov 2009 Another evap fan out. same thing power but no motor - open motor. same thing not an install related problem. Same thing again (other claims were in process at this time) and this time I just went directly to this Equi - Guard which had originally told me the procedure and I still had not been paid from 1st 2 calls. Told same thing and sent 3rd claim to them.

    Dec 31, 2009 Last call on the freezer with NO fans running. Found "Special fuses" blown on circuit from condenser feeding the evaporator coil. The customers maintenance man said to by pass fuses temporarily to find problem I did this and found a wire pinched between the inner coil divisions and the coil-pan. I ran new wire for the fan motors down stream and this corrected to problem. Installed the 2 spare fuses Heatcraft provided. Now clearly not an install problem and due to the fact that the power was present and the new fan motors worked after replacement problem solved. The time spent would have not been any less had this wire problem showed up on first call.

    Now Heres the rub Nothing paid to me as of today. Im not filing with Equi-cut my price - Guard again. for several reasons among them not timlely, wont pay full amount, guessing they will say why didnt you fixt it first time ? I did. They want to put off processing. The Customer McDonnalds have their own maint man and he could have done all this and would have done all this had it been out of warranty so they are the ones that ultimately have the benefit of labor and materials and initiated the service call so I intend to file lien on this franchise store and sent a letter of intent stating so.

    Since the letter Ive got calls from the holders of equiguard. Which I told them I have no reason to resubmit anything. Ive done it 2 times and a 3rdwont change anything just send me a check, A GOOD ONE) ,
    And believe it or not Heatcraft of all places!
    Yes now the drummer is beating a different drum.
    All of the sudden Heatcraft says the equipment is owned by them, which I quickly called that bluff saying "I was born at night but not last night". This guy from Heatcraft was not going to cover any labor now all of the sudden they want to offer to pay the bill. Go Figure? Being tired of the equiguard run around now the manufacture wants to try another type of run around? I told both of these "Gentlemen, using the phrase in lieu of being censored" He had a fine line about "his friends at equiguard", how he had "known them for years" I didnt give a care who paid but if I didn't have the check the lien will be filed. The Heatcraft guy assured me he didn't want me to have further costs involved so he would be getting me out a check. I reiterated just as long as I get it before lien is filed, if it crosses in the mail their will be more due and the check returned then they can sent the check to McDonalds Rest who I will be looking to for full payment and settlement.

    NOW Im in the last week and by Wednesday I will either have a check or a lien.

    Just in case anyone is interested, and a shorter version:

    Equi-Guard - use at your own risk. (Not a good bet for my money)
    Heat craft - ditto and Im not sure if they have a separate labor warranty for direct purchasers such as McDonalds or not but sure strange I got the "no big deal we dont have anything to do with it" to "Im sending you a check" which I am still waiting for. So ask for clarification and a certificate in case you have a nightmare like mine. The real thing I hate is that United Refrigeration (a fine supplier and wholesaler) has to handle the Heatcraft parts. And this cant be good for their customer relations form other people. They dont deserve any manufacturer with this attitude. And neither do we.

    I will post back on developments.
    Farley Redfield

  3. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona via Orchard Park, NY
    Posts
    54
    I knew someone that used to keep an air horn next to the phone, when telemarketers would call he'd grab his air horn can and give the caller an earful. They never called back.

  4. #17
    Only belly up in the USA business as usual in Canada.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the Greatest State Of CONFUSION OKLAHOMA
    Posts
    87

    Exclamation Its same here

    Quote Originally Posted by stubbornincanada View Post
    Only belly up in the USA business as usual in Canada.
    From back in 1980 or so this same company went belly up. So its business as usual here in USA too. Seems they make it through a long enough period of time to get kids grown and out of college then go belly up. Guess we'll have a whole next generation coming on soon, raising their kids. But ya know as fast as some kids decide they are adult enough might be a little quicker this time around.
    Farley Redfield

  6. #19

    Almost!

    I charged one of the credit cards and got an approval on it. If it processes through they are out the money because I haven't even ordered the equipment. And I wouldn't have until all the money was sitting pretty in my bank. Something about a woman's intuition that told me to google this as a scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by marster37 View Post
    I was just going to post a new thread when I saw the sticky.
    Here is the e mail
    I need a split air condition unit

    Below are the specifications required;

    a.. Ductless Mini Split Wall Mounted Unit [Cooling only]

    a.. Capacity 17,000BTU [1.5 ton]

    a.. 230V

    a.. My budget is about $2,500 per unit

    a.. Quantity required 3pcs [3 indoor and 3 outdoor units]

    a.. No Line sets and accessories

    a.. My favorite brands are Mitsubishi, Sanyo, LG or any durable brand

    a.. No installation, No warranty required



    Kindly get back to me with pricing and how long it will take to have them

    ordered in. I demand quality made products at fair prices. Am buying

    this unit as a gift for a friend. Am willing to pay upfront before you

    order units in. Exclude cost of shipping from quote since i will be

    picking them up from your location.



    Look forward to you response.



    Regards,

    Carol Rothman



    From: Diversified Air Email Address Removed
    Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:14 AM
    To: Carol Rothman
    Subject: Re: air conditioning quote status



    Hi Carol,

    What quote are you referring to?

    Thank You

    Jim Fisher

    ----- Original Message -----

    From: Carol Rothman

    To: Email Address Removed

    Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:35 AM

    Subject: air conditioning quote status



    I still haven't heard from you concerning the quotation. Let me hear from you Carol
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 02-01-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Email Address Removed

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Posts
    53

    AT&T Yellow Page Ads

    The only widely used phone book in our area is the AT&T yellow pages. We have a small ad in there that we renew with AT&T every year.

    Over the last couple of years we have gotten about 5 calls a month from people with overseas accents claiming to be with AT&T. They try to get us to upgrade our ad significantly for very little cost. Or they say they want to confirm our information for a free ad. They don't work for AT&T at all. They simply get your business name from the yellow pages you advertise in. They try to trick you into giving them your credit card or business info.


    Be very careful when people call you about phone book ads.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Inwood, WV
    Posts
    45

    SCAM's

    Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    Directed at HVAC business's.

    You could be contacted by e-mail, the "person" usually depicted as a female with hearing problems will inquire about the purchase of equipment. In this case 3 mini-splits for a friend or orphanage.
    They will supply you with credit card number(s) that will initially work, and arrange to pick the equipment up at your shop. As this progresses the purchaser will suddenly have a family emergency and ask you to arrange shipment thru a nationally known shipping company that will not accept credit cards. You will be asked to write a check for payment to the shipping company and again charge the fees to a credit card.
    They of course are being shipped overseas, in this case Ghana.
    In this case the scam was found out well before the loss of any equipment or dollars...don't let yourself become a success for them, these people are very good actors and will try and get your emotions to lead you into doing something that you will regret!
    Its amazing the lengths these people go through just to steal our hard earned dollars.

  9. #22
    wow, damn low life's. what happened to me was a little different. I actually received an email from paypal to confirm my profile and cc information. and they put a link on the email to go confirm if not my account would be deleted. anyhow i clicked on the link and for starters in the address bar the ink was to www.chasxxx.com or something not paypal nor https which is secure. so i wondered and what i did was put an invented user name and a invented password something like mickey mouse and psswd 99999 whatever... and the funny thing is that i actually "logged in" thats when i realized it was totally shady so i kept going and they asked for cc info address even my Social Security! i obviously put any thing like address the moon and things like that and when i clicked submit the screen went "update successful, thank you for updating blablabla" they even had a footer saying to be careful with fraud and scams lol! wut a bunch of douche bags! and also very important to notice the website was exactly the same as the real paypal one only differance was the address. Heads up people!!

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Long beach, ca
    Posts
    84

    I'm glad I'm not the only one

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMor View Post
    ... what i did was put an invented user name and a invented password something like mickey mouse and psswd 99999 whatever... and the funny thing is that i actually "logged in" thats when i realized it was totally shady so i kept going and they asked for cc info address even my Social Security!

    This is what I have done too, good way to find out if shady, if they accept bogus info.

    For phone calls, just put the phone down and walk away. You save someone else from getting one or two calls.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by 4inchCrescent View Post
    The only widely used phone book in our area is the AT&T yellow pages. We have a small ad in there that we renew with AT&T every year.

    Over the last couple of years we have gotten about 5 calls a month from people with overseas accents claiming to be with AT&T. They try to get us to upgrade our ad significantly for very little cost. Or they say they want to confirm our information for a free ad. They don't work for AT&T at all. They simply get your business name from the yellow pages you advertise in. They try to trick you into giving them your credit card or business info.


    Be very careful when people call you about phone book ads.
    AT&T uses a lot of call centers in India. The one thing that is not there, and never will be, is the yellow pages sales team.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Makati, Phillippines
    Posts
    4
    @Chillywilly looks like the nigerian bank scam, been there. The story was about a plane crash victim with no relative. He asked me to disclose some personal info, he even e-mailed me an ID, that was 4 years ago.

    Another one that you might want to look out for is a person named Mike Glaspie or anything associated with him. Too lazy or there is just too much about his exploits. :P

    http://www.imreportcard.com/people/mike-glaspie

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wichita Fall, Tx
    Posts
    70
    Just dealt with the "Craig's List" and "EbayMotors" Scam this week.
    I was trying to buy a travel trailer from what I thought was a lady here in Wichita falls.
    But it turns out to be someone trying to get me send a money order or Cashiers check to a agent of ebay motors. It's a long story! so don't fall for it... I told them to go to hell

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event