New to the sight, which specializaton

Hello everyone and thank you for the add. I hope to soak up as much info as I can. I am currently in school for HVAC/R and will finish in May of 2015. After a career in the Army, I decided on this as my new career. I will be moving to the Seattle area after school is finished and was wondering which specialization would be beneficial to me. I am taking all the basic courses offered but was curious as to what advanced courses I should take. I am also wondering what is driving the industry now and the foreseeable future, (residential, commercial, refrigeration, etc, etc) Thank you for your responses. Glad to be here.

Welcome and congrats on school! I'm currently in the same boat. I'm just taking everything!

As an old dog who made a mid life career change to this I'd like to congratulate you on your choice. Specialization depends on what your long term goals are. If you want to own your own company I'd suggest residential/light commercial. Honestly, residential is a pain. Everyone wants it fixed tonight on the cheap. But, as you gain experience you can pick up a few commercial clients and gradually move over. If you want a steady paycheck and health benefits then you may be more interested in commercial (chillers) or refrigeration (foodservice/supermarket rack systems). You need to make that decision as early as possible. I've done some commercial refrigeration work and it's very different from residential HVAC.

Hauptmann6, Congrats and good luck to you too.

Kraft Master, thanks for the insight. I haven't really done any thinking on whether or not I want my own company. I suppose down the road it may become a possibility. A retirement fund and benefits sound appealing right now. In a way I would like to be able to do everything and be well rounded within the industry, but I'm quickly finding out that specializing may be the way to get a stable, work steady career going. Then there is the question of a private business or a Union. Lots of questions for me. Finding the answers are going to be fun. Thanks again for your response.

Chillers or controls

The bigger, more complex the equipment the more money you'll make.
    It all comes down to what your good at and what you feel best working on.
    Just remember you can't be good at everything. I'd rather know a lot about certain things then know a little about a lot of things.
    I've personally made a really good living without touching residential or doing lots of installs.

Im 24 and 2 years outta tech school and doing restaurant repair makin 40k. I understand cost of living is different in all places along with average wage but im making more than people I know with university masters degrees and I almost have no debt. I would dabble around and find what you're comfortable with. I know a lot of guys that quit based on having to change a tstat on a fryer.

Nice. Pretty encouraging stuff. Thanks for the replies. I believe I'll get my hands in everything and see what appeals to me the most and go from there. Thanks again.

I don't know why people down the residential so much. Personally I enjoy it. I actually went from large commercial down to light commercial and residential. Find the part of the industry that fits you. If you enjoy it then you will make more than enough money to support you.