Post Likes

How to learn this trade on my own time?

Hey guys.

Im extremely green in this field as a 20 year old, I just completed a pre-apprenticeship program for refrigeration and i'm currently doing the Co-op at a mechanical company. I'm learning a lot out in the field but I would like to learn more on my free time at home. Suggestions? My company does a lot of heating but I was never thought that in school only refrigeration. Also I was looking at moving out west to Alberta. How would that work if I was to get my G3/G2 here in Toronto?

Thanks,

Post Likes
    get ur post count up to 15 and apply for Pro Membership.. I was just like you last year, except I was 21 not 20. I have learned so much just scouring this website and asking people questions, they are super helpful people here. Get Pro Membership and read all the old pro threads and take notes. Thats what I do, and it has helped me tremendously.

3. Likes nicolekapplhvac, weberhvac liked this post
    Post Likes
    LOL. YOU GO Ambition! Tell him like it is.

5. Likes Ambition, nicolekapplhvac liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    LOL. YOU GO Ambition! Tell him like it is.
    LMAO ^^^ Im following ur footsteps HVAC master hahah

Post Likes
    WHOA there,Ambition. I am far from a Master at anything except baiting the fish hook. LOL. I know more than some ,but,sure as hell a lot less than some!. I study something like 25 days out of 30 days,for DECADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Like Ambition said, this website is a wealth of information. I've learned so much here just reading through old threads. This trade takes a lifetime to learn so don't expect to know everything overnight. Nothing is as valuable as hands on experience in the real world. Most of the important lessons I've learned came from screwing something up in the field.

Post Likes
    I started in the HVAC trade in 1978, I have learned a lot, I have forgotten alot as things changed and did not need it anymore. Do not kid yourself, you can become very proficient and expert at many aspects but you will never learn it all as it keeps changing all the time . Keep using this website, keep your nose in the trade magazines, watch for the new stuff to come out and ask questions.

If you are searous about sticking around invest in the best tools you can afford because most will last your lifetime.

Get on the internet and pick up some older manuals like: Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Trane Air Conditioning Manual, Carrier Load Estimating, RSES training series stuff, some of these can be picked up for just a few dollars. Just flipping through them it will help you understand what some of the old stuff was. The science (thermodynamics) is the same, the new stuff still has to follow the laws of physics and electrical principals.

Being twenty you well may have a leg up as you are probably more computer savy than most of us older guys. Most new equipment uses some form of circuit borad with embedded software

Good luck

Post Likes
    I know how you feel keepitcold. I just started in sales, and just being a part of this site is helpful. I like to browse and see what i can learn. Sometimes it gets more technical than I as a salesperson needs, but other times i find issues that I could help prevent just by paying close attention to detail when i'm performing the home inspection. The last thing i want to do is sell a job and not set my installers up correctly for it. They work too hard as it is and I don't want them to have to work harder for a mistake I made.

Post Likes
    Ontario doesn't consider heating to be a "trade" it is governed by the TSSA provincially rather than the Red Seal system which is recognized nationally so if you get your G2 in Ontario you'd need to jump through the hoops all over again in Alberta. If you want to learn on your own study up on the B149 code you can buy them from the CSA site or shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you a PDF and save you a few hundred Canadian pesos.

12. Likes lrussell liked this post
    Post Likes
    Always nice to see ambitious people looking to improve their skills! Keep up buddy! Let us know of your progress