Thread: Resi Installers

Resi Installers

I swear I don't know how I am still in this field. Bending, crouching, kneeling constantly! My body feels double my age. Irregular hours, no work guaranteed. Does the grass get greener? Commercial any better? Get out of installs and get into service? Maintenance?

I think the grass is definitely greener. My body still hurts just as much. Usually have a little more room to work. Not having to deal with homeowners is a plus. Money is usually a little better. Still glad I started in resi because I have that to go back to if I have to.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Man up, life's not always rainbows and unicorns. How long have you been doing this kind of work?

I don't think the grass will be any greener for you. This is a physically demanding trade. Install, service, resi or commercial doesn't matter. The money is usually better in commercial. The physical demands don't get any easier though. Probably not quite as much kneeling in commercial service, however, now you're having to lug everything up and down a ladder. You may consider a job at a parts house or tech support if you're looking for something easier on the body.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Yep... its all hard......

Dont like hurting every day........ should have went to lawyer, brain surgeon or business tycoon school.
    As Seen On You Tube (usually under someone elses name)

I left install after 6 years for service for same reason. My knees an shoulders don't hurt every morning like the used to and my hands are not as rough and cut up. I do make a lot more $$ and work just as hard. Getting everything you need to change a compressor up on a roof will show you a new kind of pain. The hours are different too. Not a lot of 8 and out days and on call is a pain. So if your gonna stay in the trade its not a matter of finding greener grass its a matter of deciding which shade of brown you prefer. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    So if your gonna stay in the trade its not a matter of finding greener grass its a matter of deciding which shade of brown you prefer. Good luck.
    Perfect!!!
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

They speak the truth i went to commercial after many years residental not better just different lots of ladders but no dogs.

If you have at least 10 years of experience and your body is hurting then do sales for a bit to relieve the stress on your body. You can always go back and forth as I have done.

If you aren't good at sales, take some courses at your local community college to sharpen your skills. I have gone back and forth my last 8 years and couldn't be happier as to how my body has responded.

The great thing about this trade is that there are so many opportunities and different avenues we can take to keep us motivated, healthy and happy!

I did installs for the first 8 years and when I started to wake up in the morning and couldn't open or close my hands I decided to get out of installs. Now been in service for 5 years and couldn't be happier. I love this trade. Jack of all trades and king at this one

I thought resi service to be just about the worst--what with seasons of little or no work during normal business hours, and then plenty of after hours service calls.

Commercial service can be rewarding, and generally you can recover from the physically demanding jobs when you're not on call. That said, it sounds like big chiller work is quick for breaking down the body also. So, pick your poison.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!