+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WW2 in HD

Post Likes

WW2 in HD

incredible series playing on the history channel this past week and tonight.

Post Likes
    I've been watching it. It is very informative. Well worth watching.

Post Likes
    Great show. To see what those men went through to make the world a better place makes me all the more thankful for their sacrifices.
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    Missed the episode featuring the battle of Tarawa. This battle is one which has fascinated me for years. I'm planning to visit the island and a few others if and when I can afford it.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

Post Likes
    its been a great series.
    Sic semper tyrannis

‚——’ฏฏ‘;====ฑ—- * * * * * *
    !‚–’ฏฏƒนถ

Post Likes
    I am a huge ww2 buff in the fact I love to watch and read about the whole thing. The history of it has fascinated me my whole life. My grandfather, passed away now for some time. He was involved in D Day and was a guard at the Nuremberg trials. He is in some footage we have seen on the discovery channel on different shows. Standing at parade rest inside the court room. My family has pictures that my grand father took of Hess and someone else in their cells. He was hitlers personal physician.

Here is a question. You watch this show and you walk through the battles as the show portrays them. The fact that 12000 americans died in battle each month during that period between 1943 to 1945. Ask yourself this. Is our young people brave enough to do as they did if asked to?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    have not watched it yet...have it on my DVR. I have herd many good things about it plus i can now fast forward threw commercials

Post Likes
    Not taking anything away from the guys serving in today's war(s), but I tend to think in the WW's our soldiers were put through a much different level of hell that we'll never be able to understand, and hopefully no one will ever have to deal with again.

I've watched probably 20 hours of this show, might actually get the dvd set when/if it comes out.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    I am a huge ww2 buff in the fact I love to watch and read about the whole thing. The history of it has fascinated me my whole life. My grandfather, passed away now for some time. He was involved in D Day and was a guard at the Nuremberg trials. He is in some footage we have seen on the discovery channel on different shows. Standing at parade rest inside the court room. My family has pictures that my grand father took of Hess and someone else in their cells. He was hitlers personal physician.

Here is a question. You watch this show and you walk through the battles as the show portrays them. The fact that 12000 americans died in battle each month during that period between 1943 to 1945. Ask yourself this. Is our young people brave enough to do as they did if asked to?
    I think I said this wrong. Of course I believe the young men and women today are brave enough, as they are facing death everyday on the streets of Iraq and Afghanistan.

My thank you to any women or man serving our country in any capacity.

Post Likes
    I also have seen just about every show on WWII but that series is awesome. All in color, new films, new takes on battles and the stories behind them.
    Very very good.
    I saw over half of em but they are repeating so I'll get em all in.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ฉ

Post Likes
    I just finished watching a similar show on Smithsonian HD called Apocalypse WW2 it was narrated by Martin Sheen. Hard hitting stuff man, it got in deep with all the campaigns especially the pacific.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post

Nice to know your into to it to. My lifelong area of study.
    Try this site if you haven't already. New photos added daily.
    www.ww2incolor.com
    I have a friend here who writes a weekly article on WWII. Send you a link on that too if your interested. Read "FlyBoys" yet?

As far as if our youth of today would, I think they might surprise us.

Post Likes
    I've been watching it all week it's great. I also love to watch all the civil war stuff.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    I've been watching it all week it's great. I also love to watch all the civil war stuff.
    A number of our senior NCOs were WW2 Vet's, Korean war Vet's.

Some times they would shoot the breeze with us and tell some amazing stories. One told us about watching the flag raising on Iwo Jima, it made us all proud that we were Marines ... I think he got a little embarrassed because we were standing there just looking at him... nobody knew what to say.

There was another time when we were sitting around waiting to be told where we should go to sit around and wait again. We were talking about a report (rumor) that we were going to be hit real hard, and soon, guys were saying we maybe were going to be overrun. I asked him what he would do if we were overrun. He says … I killed them in hand to hand fighting in three wars and I’ll kill them again …

Now you have to understand we are Marines and therefore not very good at math. I asked him how the heck did you do that. He replied, I killed them in hand to hand on Iwo Jima, I killed them in hand to hand in Korea, and I killed them in hand to hand my first tour here and I’ll kill them in hand to hand again. Holy crap … I’m sticking with you for sure …

Later on when he was not there we got to talking, there were about fifteen of us that heard what he had said. The other guys all said I thought the same thing as you … I’m sticking with him …

Oh, nothing happened, at least not that big.

There was another time he was trying to yell at me but could not stop laughing. I'll tell that one some day ...

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    A number of our senior NCOs were WW2 Vet's, Korean war Vet's.

Some times they would shoot the breeze with us and tell some amazing stories. One told us about watching the flag raising on Iwo Jima, it made us all proud that we were Marines ... I think he got a little embarrassed because we were standing there just looking at him... nobody knew what to say.

There was another time when we were sitting around waiting to be told where we should go to sit around and wait again. We were talking about a report (rumor) that we were going to be hit real hard, and soon, guys were saying we maybe were going to be overrun. I asked him what he would do if we were overrun. He says … I killed them in hand to hand fighting in three wars and I’ll kill them again …

Now you have to understand we are Marines and therefore not very good at math. I asked him how the heck did you do that. He replied, I killed them in hand to hand on Iwo Jima, I killed them in hand to hand in Korea, and I killed them in hand to hand my first tour here and I’ll kill them in hand to hand again. Holy crap … I’m sticking with you for sure …

Later on when he was not there we got to talking, there were about fifteen of us that heard what he had said. The other guys all said I thought the same thing as you … I’m sticking with him …

Oh, nothing happened, at least not that big.

There was another time he was trying to yell at me but could not stop laughing. I'll tell that one some day ...

Thank you for your service.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    www.ww2incolor.com
    I have a friend here who writes a weekly article on WWII. Send you a link on that too if your interested. Read "FlyBoys" yet?

send me a link

Post Likes
    Good stuff ! It is as America should be now. It shows the tradition of excellence our soldiers cary out today. God bless them one and all
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    www.ww2incolor.com

Bob,

I think Shane would love the Towers, especially the one he can go up in! I know he would be fascinated by the WW2 stuff in your area..........

Post Likes
    It was a great series and Gary Sinese did a good job narrating. The greatest generation of Americans had to make huge sacrifices as the fate of the world depended on it. We certainly should appreciate their efforts.

Tony
    Call for Heat means get more firewood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in