Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Favorite B&W movies.

Just to take away from Wirenuts thread. What's your favorite B&W movies.

One of my favorites is The Fighting Sullivans also Schindlers List, all of the old Saturday/Sunday monster/scary movies. The Thing scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

I know it's kind of a cheat, but Young Frankenstein is great in black and white.

Thunder Road is a good movie bringing up issues caused by laws creating criminals.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

King Kong with Faye Dunaway is vastly superior to the first remake, although I did enjoy the latest remake with Jack Black.

Blazing Saddles
    Running Scared

Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    Just to take away from Wirenuts thread. What's your favorite B&W movies.

The Thing scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.
    Looks like you filled back up ...

OH, sands of Iwo Jima ... I'll think of more ...

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    Blazing Saddles
    Running Scared
    Those are not B&W.

Most movies I watch are in B&W because I watch older films.

The thing about B&W films is they are generally better crafted through the use of shadow and lighting that are not as relevant to color. Watch the movie Babes in arms with Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland where they pour out of a house and march through an alley. There is supposed to be a bonfire, you do not see a firs just the shadows, this would not work in color.

John Ford’s movies Stagecoach, Fort Apache and Rio Grande are great examples of B&W film making. I cannot imagine these films in color look at how poorly films that Ted Turner colorized were miserable failures because they did not transfer well.

Another great B&W movie was Taskforce with Walter Brennan and Gary Cooper was in B&W but the last scene was in color very interesting effect.

Another would be The Longest Day I cannot imagine it in color either.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Those are not B&W.

Gregory Hines/Billy Crystal

Cleavon Little/Gene Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    Gregory Hines/Billy Crystal

Cleavon Little/Gene Wilder
    I got it

To kill a mockingbird

Inherit the wind

I like the the old silent movies ranging from Harold Lloyd, Charlie Chaplin, The bog eyed guy can't remenber his name, and Buster Keaton. Just to see the expression on their faces when they're being chased or getting into a fight is enough to make me laugh.

The stunts in some of these movies are amazing. I'll never forget the one where Charlie is on a building site and somebody is throwing blocks up to him, and he's catching them with every part of his body without even looking, amongst all the great stunts from the others.

Not forgetting the old horror classic Nosferatu the vampire. Along with the later talkies with Boris Carloff, Bella Lagossi, and Lon Chaney.

Also like Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, Edgar Kennedy, WC fields (especially the dentist one), Marx Bros, Three Stooges, and lest I forget Sparkie, Buckweed, and Al Falfa the Little Rascals.

All still make me laugh my head off even today, timeless comedy classics.
    Martyn

50 & 60 hz but 100's worse

Quote Originally Posted by chilliwilly View Post
    I like the the old silent movies ranging from Harold Lloyd, Charlie Chaplin, The bog eyed guy can't remenber his name, and Buster Keaton. Just to see the expression on their faces when they're being chased or getting into a fight is enough to make me laugh.

The stunts in some of these movies are amazing. I'll never forget the one where Charlie is on a building site and somebody is throwing blocks up to him, and he's catching them with every part of his body without even looking, amongst all the great stunts from the others.

Not forgetting the old horror classic Nosferatu the vampire. Along with the later talkies with Boris Carloff, Bella Lagossi, and Lon Chaney.

Also like Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, Edgar Kennedy, WC fields (especially the dentist one), Marx Bros, Three Stooges, and lest I forget Sparkie, Buckweed, and Al Falfa the Little Rascals.

All still make me laugh my head off even today, timeless comedy classics.

Don't forget the "Bowery Boys"

Oh, and "Charlie Chan"

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

[QUOTE=RoBoTeq;5053462]I know it's kind of a cheat, but Young Frankenstein is great in black and white.
    QUOTE]

"Put the candle back!"

Classic

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast