Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 17 of 17
  1. #14
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,308
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    Electrical amputation. The current must have been enormous.
    The elec. chair supplies 4A to 8A and it doesn't dismember people.
    7200v 3 phase before the step down transformer, the store had a machine shop that worked on 460v 3 phase.

    When I was 19 I worked for a large A/C company and we had a guy get killed on a side job. He was an installer or beginner tech and trying to do side work at an apartment project. For some reason he walked up to a primary transformer 7200v (one of those green boxes), the padlock was missing. He opened it up and reached in bare handed to pull out a fuse. Needless to say he was fried; again his hand and feet were blown out not off just the fingers and toes. His rubber soled shoes were melted to the ground and were left on the ground in front of the transformer. The company sent all of us over to see the result to impress us on the power of electricity. It took this poor guy three days to die he was a real mess.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    newton,mass.
    Posts
    6,109
    Many years ago across the street from our shop they were trimming branches back. The boom of the bucket truck came into contact with power lines. The truck exploded and was burning and the power was still on and in contact with the boom. The poor guys in the bucket were frozen in place watching the truck burn. They thought they would be safe in the bucket, they were … that is until it started to melt. So they had to make a choice, stay and maybe things would be OK or jump. They jumped, it was about twenty feet, both ended up not being hurt to much. We went over and looked at the truck and it was cooked completely and the metal had started to melt before the power finally failed. Oh, the bucket melted to a long blob, good thing they jumped.


    .
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

    "Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    newton,mass.
    Posts
    6,109
    A guy (electrician) I did work with got blasted once, he was up on a ladder inside a building. The security camera got the whole thing on film. There was a flash and then you see his body fly across the room in the air and hit the opposite wall about ten feet up. He was in the hospital for a few weeks and then it took about a year for him to recover. He had to learn how to walk and talk … and who knows what else all over. He was fine after that. I don’t know or most likely forgot how much power there was that got him, he was and is a very careful guy, sometimes you just get bit.


    .
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

    "Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,673
    That is some nasty stuff.

    I worked in electronics, so all we did was fry equipment once in a while.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event