Post Likes

Hot Product in Walk in...

I have a very Stubborn Customer that Insists on telling all of its Stores (34) that instruct your kitchen Prep as soon as the food stops steaming its okay
    to put in the cooler. Its a new Owner with its new Directors and we cant keep up with all the freezups.
    Entered a Brand new store yesterday and found a note on the door that said "Make sure Hot Prep is not producing Steam before putting in cooler"
    Insane!! I tell the D/O's if we upsize the refrigeration we can do it in every store.

Post Likes
    Sell them some small blast chillers and instruct them on their use. Lol

I feel your pain. Seen that before.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Hot food is supposed to sit and cool to room temperature before being placed in refrigeration.

Post Likes
    They do that here too, drives me nuts.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Hot food is supposed to sit and cool to room temperature before being placed in refrigeration.
    After digging deeper i stand corrected.

Hot food can and should be placed in the walk in to rapidly cool.

To the op

Install a consent cut in control for defrost as needed.

Post Likes
    They aren't wrong to be placing the hot food in the cooler. Bacteria grows most rapidly between the temps of 40 and 140. The quicker it's brought below 40 degrees the better. We have a customers that pull 4, 202 sized combis worth of piping hot food out of their combis and roll them straight into the walk in. That's A LOT of food. Those walk-ins have specifically designed evaporators and the systems are sized for the extra load.

In your case you might want to look into KE2 therm kits.

Post Likes
    Its not wrong if the systems designed for it.

When the guys where I work do that, it can cause a freeze up on 1 or 2 of the coils, they seem to have figured out when they can put it in there but the proper way is to blast chill which they have one of....

Post Likes
    Here in Georgia our health department allows any type of food being protein or vegetable a cool down period of two hours in The ambient temperature of the kitchen .Then can be rolled in at 80 degrees maximum, then that allows a lot of the humidity or Steam Escape we all know that heat rises and the evaporators are 95% of the time mounted on the ceiling of the walk in. Our Health Inspectors will also write a citation for condensate or steam dripping from inside the walk-in cooler. They know they have two hours for cool down time but they still put them in the cooler

Post Likes
    Whether they're allowed the two hours or not, rapidly cooling the food is still the right/safe way to do it. You're problem is that the equipment is not designed for it. Try to sell them a blast chiller.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Man View Post
    Whether they're allowed the two hours or not, rapidly cooling the food is still the right/safe way to do it. You're problem is that the equipment is not designed for it. Try to sell them a blast chiller.
    I know I get that BUT.... I know the use of a blast chiller.I know the best way is to cool immediately. But if the State Health Dept says you have 2 hours then I think they know a little about food safety. And talking to a company about spending almost a half million dollars on blast coolers for all locations ? Okay yeah. OR we could let them use the 2 hours..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayline View Post
    I know I get that BUT.... I know the use of a blast chiller.I know the best way is to cool immediately. But if the State Health Dept says you have 2 hours then I think they know a little about food safety. And talking to a company about spending almost a half million dollars on blast coolers for all locations ? Okay yeah. OR we could let them use the 2 hours..
    If the food and health department allows it, not much to argue with. It's gotta be safe to do it then, they are the authority.

Post Likes
    Just put in an extra defrost and be done with it.
    I don't understand happiness as an ambition . . . It's not really worthy. I understand it as a byproduct.

Harrison Ford

Post Likes
    Sounds like a great opportunity to upgrade. Start with 2-3 stores and if it's successful, and they buy into it, it's a money train.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk