Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Kold draft make the best ice machines?

I really like the crystal clear rocks that drops out when it's in the harvest cycle. What do you think?

Post Likes
    I didn't know they still made them...

Post Likes
    I liked the Kold draft manual with the diagrams and little movable switches, also same as yaytech, I didn't know they still made them
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes

Post Likes
    They still make them and undergoing some new changes. But, we will always keep that KOLD-DRAFT cube.
    ckartson, I found some "Brand New" service manuals in the factory from 1989 and they have that chart!

Post Likes
    I used to have a couple of em here. They were a trip to service. Pretty simple to work on.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    First ice machine I ever worked on. I think they were made in PA. Are they still made in US ?
    Quote Originally Posted by uniservice View Post
    I used to have a couple of em here. They were a trip to service. Pretty simple to work on.

Post Likes
    I wish they would solder the plate switch wires to the switch so they'd stop corroding and causing a false open. And maybe get plate switches that were siliconed or water resistant. And the water level probes need to go. Extremely unreliable. I'm thinking like a Hoshi float switch. And water tank nipples should be one molded piece, instead of a piece of plastic tube siliconed to the tank. If you look at them wrong they start leaking. If it just sensed water and plate position properly that would alleviate half the problems these new units have.

Post Likes
    But yes the cube is the best

Post Likes
    I haven't seem 1 for over 30 years. Won't bother me if I don't see 1 for another 30 either.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    I haven't seem 1 for over 30 years. Won't bother me if I don't see 1 for another 30 either.
    amen to that...

Post Likes
    My first was crystal tips back when I really wanted ice machine work. Are the still around, made little hourglass shaped cubes. Ice thickness sensor was a pia as I recall. Seems as if all the ice machines are of foreign manufacture now.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes
    Kold-Draft and Hoshi square cubers are making a comeback. High end liquor bars are obsessed with the large, clear cubes. My city went from zero machines to 7 machines in two years, with at least two more being installed in the next couple of months.

The new Kold-Drafts that I service now have electronic controllers and are much easier to troubleshoot than the older electromechanical machines. I haven't seen any of the new KM Hoshi's that are now available in the USA yet. They are so much more expensive than the Kold-Draft that no one buys them around here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast