Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm York Chiller 80% Ref loss 700Lb in 2-3 Weeks ?

York YS Style A S3 Screw,2-3 Weeks ago checked system had 3deg aprouch Half a sight glass of liquid,at full load-Got a call not working off on oil level failure,found oil level float open,Had level at half of top sight glass,Jumped out float,unit started,went off on low pressure,checked level of liquid in barrel could not see level,all most empty,Leak checked System,Got readings on H5 Oil sump releif valve,Capped relief with a gauge slowly read 3psi in 1 day at 35psi static,found a couple of real small leaks,Drained Both Berrals ,Let sit, Leak checked Vents no leaks detected,Looked at Internal pipe of relief 2 in vent to roof no oil compleatly dry,Acording to data logger in panel unit was running fine until 2 days before I got the call,I reclaimed refrigerant,Weight it system charge 840 lb reclaimed 140 lb - Lost 700 lb in a matter of days, Presurized system with nitrogen and trace 22 to 176lb,Ran out of nitrogen,Holding pressure.I figured the relief must have blown but there is no oil in any of the relief vent piping,and datta logger said head only got up to 178 psi,Has anyone had a situation like this?Any and all apinions welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like you have to find that leak, you lost a lot of refrigerant. If you have to cut away at the insulation in order to leak check then do it.

Check for a tube leak as well.

Hmm H5 Relief off of oil sepatater

Can This relief Valve blow and leave no trace of oil in the 2in discharge pipeing to the outside?

Quote Originally Posted by harley91 View Post
    Can This relief Valve blow and leave no trace of oil in the 2in discharge pipeing to the outside?
    Blowing a relief is a rare event.

Early on, I had one pop on a rack and dump about 1000#. The relief was piped externally to the roof. It cleared fist sized stones for 3 feet around the outlet of the tube.

Not knowing a whole lot about chiller equipment like this, I would charge it back up and go over it with an H-10.

As PSI said, there is a leaker somewhere. Maybe it need to get up to temp to really start dumping the gas, I've seen that one before.

sabotage? had a machine that had 12000# r12, all pooft!.......leak checked tite before and after...

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetaldad View Post
    sabotage? had a machine that had 12000# r12, all pooft!.......leak checked tite before and after...
    And NOBODY noticed?

That is a H**L of a lot of noise blowing that much gas, not to mention the fog from liquid and oil....

WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetaldad View Post
    Sooooo, THAT'S what happened to the ozone layer....................

Had one let a relief blow before the high pressure cutout could take it out water cooled trip at lower pressure someone had set it higher than relief setting goodby refrigerant out the vent line.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Quote Originally Posted by harley91 View Post
    York YS Style A S3 Screw,2-3 Weeks ago checked system had 3deg aprouch Half a sight glass of liquid,at full load-Got a call not working off on oil level failure,found oil level float open,Had level at half of top sight glass,Jumped out float,unit started,went off on low pressure,checked level of liquid in barrel could not see level,all most empty,Leak checked System,Got readings on H5 Oil sump releif valve,Capped relief with a gauge slowly read 3psi in 1 day at 35psi static,found a couple of real small leaks,Drained Both Berrals ,Let sit, Leak checked Vents no leaks detected,Looked at Internal pipe of relief 2 in vent to roof no oil compleatly dry,Acording to data logger in panel unit was running fine until 2 days before I got the call,I reclaimed refrigerant,Weight it system charge 840 lb reclaimed 140 lb - Lost 700 lb in a matter of days, Presurized system with nitrogen and trace 22 to 176lb,Ran out of nitrogen,Holding pressure.I figured the relief must have blown but there is no oil in any of the relief vent piping,and datta logger said head only got up to 178 psi,Has anyone had a situation like this?Any and all apinions welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "A" style is a pretty old machine. Has the compressor been taken off and remanufactured or swapped for any reason, or have any of the compressor (or chiller) fittings been swapped in the last year and a half or so?

If the main separator relief blows during operation, it would be virtually impossible to not get oil in the line. Idle may be a different story. Considering your static check of pressure rise on that relief valve gave a positive indication while cold and at only about 1/6th operating pressure, I'd give it some attention, even if it's not the main culprit. Thing about relief valves is 1) like JP said, it's a rare event, and 2) if it wasn't leaking previously, it would normally reseat and not lose everything on the first blow, unless maybe crap got in the seat or there was a groove in the seat from being that way for so long, and when it reseated it didn't get flat. In that case, it should be pretty easy to find, though. Oil not being in relief lines on the cond and evap prv's is not an indication of integrity. If they're not leaking, you'll possibly have to bag them and run the machine. You can also bag test them for vacuum leaks during evacuation.

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    Sooooo, THAT'S what happened to the ozone layer....................
    Which is why you should always fill out a refrigerant report when dealing with this situation, cover your butt.

Worked on a piece of English R-22 equipment once where the whole system was 400 pound test except for the 325 pound pop-off.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

happened right around the time when 12 went thru the roof..............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast