Rotery Phase Converter I made

Made up a small rotary phase converter for fun and games, and it actually works quite well! I used a WYE motor, as I couldn't find a delta one for cheap. Used a kickstart kit for start up, and added run caps to help tame the wild leg a bit. The little fan was just laying around so I put it in there to keep it all cool in the summer. We have it running a shear with a 3 HP motor.

here are links to pics:

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/a...cture004-1.jpg

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/a...cture003-1.jpg

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/a...cture002-1.jpg
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Looks pretty sweet. I've got an old 10 horse.. or is it 20 horse... anyway I've got a big old motor laying around I've been meaning to do that to for my lathe (and some day future 3 phase machinist goods).

What are you going to run off it? or was it just one of those projects you did because you could?
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Running a old 8 foot sheer. We had one of the solid state converters hooked up to it but it made the 3HP motor run hot and had a hard time starting(sheer has a large flywheel). With this new converter it runs nice and cool, and starts just fine so far in a cold shop, we will see how it does when it gets realy cold out and the grease is all stiff. But yea it was mostly just to see if I could pull it off. Next one though I will not use the Kick start, as it tries to keep in the loop untill you throw a load on it. I will use a relay and a timer next time to drop out the start cap.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

I've got two phase converters, one rotorary and a digital, that was made in Amick's stomping grounds, its a Phase Perfect, it is a hell of a good unit but it was about $10,000, but it puts out perfect three phase.

The rotary i built from a used 20 Hp 3 ph motor about 15 yrs ago, I just use a 1 hp to get it up to speed and turn it on, then shut off the 1 hp mtr and it free wheels, I've never put on any capaciters though I know it would put out a cleaner third leg.

I was talking to an old electrical engineer that said they used to use something like the rotary one I built in the old days on the transmission lines as a "ballast motor" to make the 3 phase better.

I have been using it regularly for 15 years, I run my Axleson engine lathe with it, it has a 10 HP motor on it no problems except if I try to run the lathe when it real cold in high speed before the oil gets warmed up, it takes all the power I can give it, but it's starting a bunch of weight at high RPM's

Yours looks prettier than mine does though, but they will work fine

My cousin and I have a saw mill we made one up with a 30hp. we are currently running 2 25hp. motor off of it, for the edger & conveyor with plans on replacing gas engine on mill with another 25, looking for a big old planer also.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    Used a kickstart kit for start up, and added run caps to help tame the wild leg a bit.
    Kickstart? sounds mighty fancy to me

The only rotary phase converter I've ever seen had a pullstart. The farmer that owned/built it had a rope and handle from a lawnmower. You wrapped the rope around the shaft, gave it a quick pull and while the motor was still coasting you turned on the power.

Well like I said the kick start don't work so well, but I had it and the supply house didn't have a 400mfd start cap in stock at 440volt. But next time I would use a start cap and relay with a adjustable timer to drop it out.

I did see the deal with a pull start listed, but some of the guys at the shop could get hurt using fancy technology like that

Also on the next one I want to add a small flywheel so we can use it with multiple units, or reversing motors without any worry of reversing phase.