+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carrier 19XR loading fault

Post Likes

Carrier 19XR loading fault

Anyone had any problems with a Carrier 19XR. This one refuses to load fully past 75-80% or so because of an approach temperature problem. All I can think is either refrigerant charge, flow rates incorrect, fouled tubes, faulty sensor.

I was just thinking that someone may have a different take on it....

Thanks
    A problem shared is a problem halved

Post Likes
    Assuming you have the IOM this is what Carrier says to check.
    Some operational data readings would also be helpful.

162 SENSOR ALERT EVAPORATOR
    APPROACH
    162→Evaporator Approach
    [VALUE] Exceeded Limit of
    [LIMIT]*.
    Check that refrigerant charge level is adequate,
    waterbox division plate gaskets are sealing,
    evaporator tubes are not fouled and that oil
    reclaim system is working.
    Check sensor resistance or voltage drop.
    Check for proper wiring.
    Check Evap Approach Alert setting in SETUP1
    screen.
    163 SENSOR ALERT CONDENSER APPROACH 163→Condenser Approach
    [VALUE] Exceeded Limit of
    [LIMIT]*.
    Check sensors resistance or voltage drop.
    Check for proper wiring.
    Check Cond Approach Alert setting in SETUP1
    screen.
    Check for noncondensable gas in the
    condenser.
    Check that the condenser tubes are not fouled.

Post Likes
    The obvious first question is "What's your approach temp?"

Post Likes
    Actually it had been manually limited to 80% by someone else.

I noticed the oil level was just to the bottom of the second sight glass. No flashing in the motor cooling line sight glass. Refrigerant temp 2.7 degrees leaving water was 8.9 degrees so 6.2 degrees approach (sorry these are celcius) approach alert 162 triggers at 2.8 degrees C.

After running for a while at 95% approach was slightly decreasing so perhaps some oil logging in the cooler ??

Post Likes
    I just placed two brand new 19XR"s into service and I am receiving alarms on one of them. I too have seen in the alarm history warnings of approach problems. I have placed a service call too Carrier about this since it's under warranty by the contractor. I will let you know what they find.

Post Likes
    approach is high, do you have oil issues or have you had to add oil, need a full set of readings to really tell you more load pressures , drops etc... water and refrigerant side plus deesign if you have it.

Post Likes
    In I-P terms you are speaking about an 11 degree approach on the evap side.

Regardless, when someone says "I can't get a chiller to load past such and such %", the follow up sentence I want to read is "and the chiller isn't meeting the load" but for some reason that follow-up wording is often missing. If the chiller meets the load at all times but never loads past, say, 80%, could it mean the chiller is a bit oversized for its given "full load" condition?

Or are you speaking about not being able to manually open the guide vanes to get the chiller amps to go past, say, 80%? Are we speaking about % of vane opening or % of full load amps?

The more precise information you give, the more precise answers you will receive.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Assuming:

1- your refrigerant charge is correct
    2- tubes are clean
    3- GPM flow is correct
    4- evap transducer is calibrated

I'd say your float may require attention if your (evap) approach is still high.

Post Likes
    Got leaks?
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Post Likes
    high cooler approach which at near full load is around 8-10 degrees F (5-6 degrees C) the oil level looks low in the compressor as well. The skimmer line sight glass was clear. At part load 60% amps and 30% guide vanes the appraoch is much lower (1.3 degrees C or 2.5 degrees F) there is liquid flashing in the skimmer line sight glass and the alert is gone. I checked the resistance of the thermistors which seem OK. The flows are near enough, only marginally low. My deduction is that there is a refrigerant shortage, as at fuller load the liquid in the cooler is below the skimmer line, which leads to poor oil return (the level is lower). Another identical chiller runs mormal oil levels, and a 0.2 degree C approach, with flashing in the skimmer line.

I couldn't pick up any obvious leaks, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. It's a reasonably new machine 3 or so years old. I screen printed all the figures from my service tool but they are on my other computer..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PSI View Post
    Assuming:

1- your refrigerant charge is correct
    2- tubes are clean
    3- GPM flow is correct
    4- evap transducer is calibrated

I'd say your float may require attention if your (evap) approach is still high.
    Go with PSI. Float may be sticking. Check bubbler line/service valve open.

Post Likes
    The condenser approach is OK 0.3 degrees. Maybe on further reflection it is the float. I was hoping that it wouldn't be the float, which is going to be a bit more involved...

The end plates have never been taken off the cooler, the GPM flow is OK, the evap temp sensor seems OK. Approach alarm is set to 2.8 degrees C. The load is met on slightly cooler days as the machine will run at part load. At full load on a warm day the machine will almost but not quite meet load, that however being the lower level in the cooler I imagine

Post Likes
    Try playing with the condenser temp before you give up and take it apart.
    Maybe you don't have enough bubbles to float the float.

Another idea might be to go around the float with a hose and some fittings to try to figure out what's going on.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Post Likes
    What it the purpose of the bubbler line?

Post Likes
    What was the problem?

Post Likes
    Hi sir
    I having issues in 19xrd chiller chiller load variation happen actullay chw return temp is 8.9 Celsius but still chiller working on full load we cut the 30% of float inner slave also but same other chiller working in low load discharge temp is 37celsius guide vane also variation 35% to 40% pls help me out this im thinking non condessable gas in system

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in