Manitoba to have highest energy-efficiency standards in Canada

I was out getting coffee and heard on the radio that the Manitoba Government announced that starting in 2010 we are going to have to install 92% replacement furnaces and boilers will have to be over 80 efficiency under a new energy act.

Its interesting that if your building a new house you can put a lower efficient furnace / boiler in as new installs are covered by the building code. They are looking at having the building code match the energy act in the next revision.

It should be interesting to see how the wholsale's stock the new units.

There are some exceptions here in the news release.

http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ive=&item=7200

my gut says it was NDP, looked it up and sure enough

I would say it is good for contractors

Probably highest energy standard in North America
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Most builders in Ontario (probably Manitoba too) have been using high efficiency furnaces for at least a decade to avoid using chimneys and/or B-vents.

Canada is doing away with 80% furnaces anyway. (90%, 92%, same thing)

Venting is certain retrofit applications will pose a problem.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Most builders in Ontario (probably Manitoba too) have been using high efficiency furnaces for at least a decade to avoid using chimneys and/or B-vents.

Canada is doing away with 80% furnaces anyway. (90%, 92%, same thing)

Venting is certain retrofit applications will pose a problem.
    Well I see it pretty much the same except for a couple of things, like who they are targeting... again.

If you read that article, it also includes small commercial upto 225,000... Who builds a rooftop unit that is capable of 92% eff?! or are they exempt like usual... or included in the "outdoor furnace" clause a couple of paragraphs later... Has anyone ever done a study about the distribution and usage split of gas and hydro between commercial/industrial and residential? Or is the resi market just an easier target because they can't or don't lobby the government for leniency like huge corporations who can sick 20 lawyers on it do?

Oh, man, I could rant for hours, starting with crappy un-inspected installations by idiots who shouldn't be allowed to own tools to government cop-outs costing everyone zillions of dollars along the way... but I have to work in the morning and no one really wants to here me talk that way anyway.

Hey did you hear the one about the BC ambulance drivers being legislated back to work after 7 months just in time for the Olympics?!
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!