What is the best way to clean an Electronic Air filter

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I wanted peoples opinions on the best way to clean the electronic air filter cartridges. I have a Honeywell 20x20 F series. I put them the dishwasher without detergent and it seems to do a mediocre job. I'm hesitant to use detergent because sodium hydroxide eats aluminum.
    Do these contain aluminum or just stainless?

Is there something else to use instead of detergent, like maybe vinegar?

Am I just being conserative and I really should just use a regular load of detergent?

I washed mine in the DW with ElectraSol detergent for several years. It did a great job. What I noticed was that the detergent faded the aluminum and stained the white DW racks a bit but did not damage the cells.

When I got a new DW I decided not to put the cells in it, so that the racks would remain white. Now I wash the cells in the laundry sink. I have a double sided sink, so use that.

At first I used DW detergent and let them soak, but now I first spray the cells with simple green, let them sit for a while, rinse them down with water spray then fill the sinks with simple green and hot water and let them soak.

I don't pay particular attention to them. I just put them in to soak and walk away. Later I return, agitate them up and down through the water a few times, rinse them down, and let them dry. - everything is clean. No problem. I lay the pre filters on top of the cells while in the water solution so they get cleaned the same way.

Also I don't think Electrasol - now called Finish Electrasol contains Sodium Hydroxide...I don't think any DW detergents contain this but I could be mistaken.
    I wash mine every 30 days in the summer and winter when the unit is in heavy use.

Three easy steps...

1. Disconnect power
    2. Remove and scrap eac cells - the metal will be turned into something of greater value
    3. Slide in pleated filter media

--------------------------
    Seriously, check the blower compartment; if it's full of dust, the filter isn't working.

EACs need to be cleaned very frequently (every 3-4 weeks) to work. (with harsh chemicals)
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Thumbs up be careful of the ...

The two most important things to be aware of when it comes to cleaning the electro-static aluminum grids:
    1. The thin little wires on the bottom of the grid are super fragile, do not use a brush or tools to clean this wire. I use my fingers only to remove any crud that may be on the wire.
    2. After the cleaning is finished, let the grids air dry completely. When they are done drying, look for the electrical contact plates on each side of the grid. The spot where the grids touch each other is where the contact plates are. These contacts build corrosion & need to be cleaned as well by using a brass wire brush. Then place a small, thin amount of di-electric grease to the contacts. The grease will inhibit corrosion process.
    I use two chemicals to clean these grids.
    1. "Natural Blue" by Permatex degreaser/cleaner. This stuff will clean just about anything. An example of how well it cleans is when I am cleaning the vehicle's interior, one of the most difficult things to get to come clean is the door's armrest (dirt, grease, sweat & dead skin cells ect.) Spray a small amount on the armrest, wait 30 seconds & wipe away. The armrest cleans up awesomely, clean like when it was new.
    2. Trane's no-rinse evaporator cleaner (green color solution) & water. Between these two cleaners, the grids clean up real good. This is without using any brushes or wiping them down. I usually just use my hands (while wearing nitrile disposable gloves) to wipe the grids down
    It takes about 30-40 minutes to do a cleaning on 2 grid plates with superb results!

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Three easy steps...

1. Disconnect power
    2. Remove and scrap eac cells - the metal will be turned into something of greater value
    3. Slide in pleated filter media

--------------------------
    Seriously, check the blower compartment; if it's full of dust, the filter isn't working.

EACs need to be cleaned very frequently (every 3-4 weeks) to work. (with harsh chemicals)

Best advice you will get.

Yes, this has been discussed before. So I will let you know, first and foremost, avoid installing EAC at all. I have had two and they are garbage. However, if you can't live without one I found that taking them to a hand-held car wash and spraying them down is the best way to clean them. I tried putting them in dishwasher, but found out this practice should be avoided. When you think about it something as dirty as furnace filters shouldn't be cleaned in an appliance that you clean your dishes in, right? I also tried cleaning them in laundry tub (soaking) etc. Plus like someone else stated they loose there effectiveness unless they are cleaned quite often.

Good luck

thorton

I used to have EAC and even though they appear to be working, blower fan case was always dusty. I ended up setting them aside and using Honeywell media filters instead.

Thumbs up WELL AND

Quote Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post
    ... I wanted peoples opinions on the best way to clean the electronic air filter cartridges.
    FREQUENTLY.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

My favorite is to turn off/unplug power. Remove grids and screens, use a Phillips screw diver remove location dowel. Install 5” Honeywell MERV 10 media filter, replace yearly.

It sounds like a wise a** statement, do you really want to clean that thing every month?
    EAC’S loose capacity, media gains capacity. In a nutshell the dirtier the EAC get’s the less it works, the dirtier a media filter gets the more it works.

Yes I use sodium hydroxide coil cleaner (NuBrite) 10:1 rise quickly and well, condenser coil fins are aluminum, any degreaser will do.

Monthly cleaning wouldn't be such a big deal if EACs actually worked properly for more than 72-100 hours of use after each cleaning.

They're probably good for taking out tiny particles - for visible dust which clogs up secondary heat exchangers, forget it.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Hmm

Aprilaire 5000 is an electronic/media filter. Personally I would just go with a good media filter. I have 2 long haired dogs and hardwood floors and my media filter works great, change once a year and forget it, move on to the honey-do list.