Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Concrete condensing unit pad too small

I'm having our AC replaced and our current condensing unit concrete pad (32" x 32") is too small to support the new unit. I'm guessing this isn't an uncommon problem with the higher efficiency units having larger exchangers. I searched this thread but couldn't find anything with the same question. Sorry if it's a repeat, which it probably is.

The installer wants to use a 3" thick resin pad (42" x 42") for the new unit beside the existing pad directly on the ground.

Is the resin pad on the ground a better setup than trying to "extend" the pad by adding concrete blocks (CMUs)? The new pad would hang over and be supported by concrete blocks for about 10". I guess I would be concerned with the concrete pad not moving at all but the concrete blocks moving during the winter.

I guess extending the pad with more concrete would be ideal, but my install is scheduled for Monday, and wanted to see if the above options would be okay?

We live just outside of Washington DC, so the winters do get pretty cold.

Thanks for any input!

The resin pad will be just fine. All the pad is really doing is keeping the unit out of the dirt and level.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Why not put dirt around the old pad to make it accommodate the bigger pad, and put the new pad on top? I am not sure I would want to have the old pad sitting there, with nothing on it.

It sounds like it wouldn't be an issue to just add a few concrete blocks around the existing pad to "extend" it to accommodate the new pad on top. I'll just make sure it's level.

This should give a more finished look than leaving the old pad just sitting there.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie 2 View Post
    It sounds like it wouldn't be an issue to just add a few concrete blocks around the existing pad to "extend" it to accommodate the new pad on top. I'll just make sure it's level.

This should give a more finished look than leaving the old pad just sitting there.
    And what happens, when blocks start subsiding in the surronding ground? And they will. If it were me, I'd have to go with the new pad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    And what happens, when blocks start subsiding in the surronding ground? And they will. If it were me, I'd have to go with the new pad idea.
    Hmm... Any good way to keep them from sinking? Will a few inches of gravel underneath the blocks prevent it?

Hmm... Any good way to keep them from sinking? Will a few inches of gravel underneath the blocks prevent it?
    Any reason they can't get another, new 3" concrete pad, and place it over the existing one?
    We can still get them around here. Solid concrete, not the styrofoam coated ones either. Believe it or not, the price is right there with the others.

I guess gravel might work, for a while anyway.

why not pour a concrete pad the size you need over existing concrete pad...it's not that hard,and you probably are not in dire need of a.c. this time of year with your location.

If I go with the plastic resin pad, should it be mounted directly on the dirt or put on top of a bed of gravel?

Thanks

If I go with the plastic resin pad, should it be mounted directly on the dirt or put on top of a bed of gravel?

Thanks
    Can most of the new pad be placed over the old one? If they can, then fill in the overhang with gravel.

Lift out the concrete and put the plastic one in its place. We do it all the time. I'm building a patio with the old concrete ones we haul away We sit the plastic ones on leveled dirt, no gravel or sand.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Options

This was a quick change-out. But removed old concrete for new unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Stamas; 03-02-2010 at 12:18 PM.

excellent work..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast