Hmm dark green sludge

we changed a condenser during the summer, evap on first floor , condenser on roof of 5 story building, before changing condenser( which boss condemned) he wanted me to isolate piping from evap to pressurize to make sure no leaks. i found oil acidic didnt need tester felt on hands and smelled it. well lines were tight so reconnected swapped out condenser installed 2 core sld and used burnout cores, month later changed cores ll drier cleaned out shell from green sediments, month later changed again, but removed shell piped in unit changed ll drier again, even though oil was clear and had no oder is this condenser still at high risk of damage or should it be fine

just wondering what people think

do the acid test...it's trust worthy

Green slime. Water got into the oil in the old system. Change the refrigerant lines, indoor coil and outdoor unit at the same time. It is like cancer, leave a little in and it will come back.

If you just changed the condensor, then you have an oops. Another good reason to sell only matched systems.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    Green slime. Water got into the oil in the old system. Change the refrigerant lines, indoor coil and outdoor unit at the same time. It is like cancer, leave a little in and it will come back.

If you just changed the condensor, then you have an oops. Another good reason to sell only matched systems.

Probably not the dreaded green slime, but more a cousin of it. Unless this was one of the early versions of the Copeland scroll compressor, it is most likely a similar condition that happens with yellow compressor oil. Green slime only forms in the white mineral oil that copeland used on their scroll compressors.

The darker sludge that occurs is heavier and does not go throughout the system like green slime does. It can usually be cleaned up, but is still some messy stuff.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by slowandsteady View Post
    we changed a condenser during the summer

evap on first floor , condenser on roof of 5 story building

before changing condenser( which boss condemned)

he wanted me to isolate piping from evap to pressurize to make sure no leaks.

i found oil acidic

didnt need tester felt on hands and smelled it.
    what percentage of acid did it "feel" like or "smell" like?

well lines were tight, so reconnected, swapped out condenser

installed 2 core sld and used burnout cores,

month later, changed cores ll drier cleaned out shell from green sediments,
    did you test by "feel" and "smell" again

month later changed again, but removed shell piped in unit changed ll drier again
    you lost me at this part

even though oil was clear and had no oder is this condenser still at high risk of damage or should it be fine
    it depends on how much you trust your "feel" and "smell" gauge

just wondering what people think
    seems like a bunch of unscientific data, but when/if it breaks (clogs expansion device), we want to here about it

i didnt agree with changing only condenser, bosses decision, everything i did my boss told me to do, i said it may be problematic. he said after two filter changes it was fine, he didnt want to pay for the acid test to be sure. i know it was a bad one , i could feel it irritating my skin, and damn near lost all my nose hairs from smell.

well like said i am just kind of waiting for problem, i questioned it when he did it but what do i know.