Recently I replaced the thermopile on a gas log fireplace(White Rogers Valve). The old TP was reading about 140 with only the pilot running. So, replacement seemed like it would do the trick. I replaced it, and fireplace ran fine. Just for kicks I decided to test the mv on the new TP. I put my meter on and it was reading is about 950mv, almost 1 full volt... I adjusted the pilot as low as it could go (the pilot screw didn't seem to affect the pilot flame at all) and got it down to 920mv. The pilot didn't seem overly large anyway.

After talking to the customer she had the TP replaced a year ago and it had already gone bad. Does this excess of voltage tax the TP to the point where it will deteriorate every year?? Can you have too much voltage out of a TP??