Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

De super heater

I've got an FHP aquarius II installed this summer. I've had good results with controlling it with an outdoor stat ( shuts down DSH ) at 25 degrees F. This is also the point where the system would load for 2nd stage compressor. I'm still experimenting with the best temp, but so far It's heated most of the hot water unless there's high water demand

I understand the DHW produced in the heating season is not free, but my question is it more efficient than a gas water heater?

I have an Envision 049 with buffer tank and gas HWH. In Northeast Wisconsin (long heating season) I'm wondering if I should flip the envision's DHW switch to OFF and let my gas HWH do the work, or just let the geo do the work. Any ideas?

Your geo should have safeties that if the hot gas is being cooled too much. It shuts the desuperheater off.

If its not bringing on the aux heat. let it run.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I have the same question that thenuke asks.....Since its been established that you are using your geo compressor to produce the heat in the winter and it is not a free by-product, is it cheaper to have the geo heat the domestic water or something like a tankless high-efficiency gas water heater? I know the answer for the summer is obvious but isn't using the geo to heat the water in the winter pretty much an electric water heater?

What's more efficient in the winter, a desuperheater or an efficient gas water heater?

Still heats the water for less then what an electric water would cost to do the same job.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

cost to heat with gas or HP

It depends on what your cost per MCF of gas is and cost per KW of electric. Keep in mind most gas water heaters are only about 58-65% efficient. Electric is 100%, but the HP is 300-400%. I've successfully heated a lot of hot water this winter, but shut it down when it's below 20 outside ( that's just an arbitrary temp I picked and am still playing with it) I live in KY Electric is about 7 cents a KW here, gas is around $8-12 per MCF. The one thing for sure is both are going to go up. Last year we paid around $16 MCF so I decided to go Geo. This year, perhaps the gas would have been a little cheaper to heat with. All the calcs and info I've read show it would have been about the same with gas or geo.

My plans for this year are to keep my electric tank, set it at about 90degrees and let the desuperheater heat that tank to whatever it can. I plan to install a tankless on demand gas heater to raise the temp for use. If my calcs are right, I shouldn't need to run the gas much in the summer.

I've finally decided there really isn't a right or wrong way to do it, only more complicated ways that may or may not ever pay back. If you have a big house you have big utilities, no matter how efficient your heat, air or water heating is.

Hope that helps or if anyone has better thoughts please let me know

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynew612 View Post

I've finally decided there really isn't a right or wrong way to do it, only more complicated ways that may or may not ever pay back. If you have a big house you have big utilities, no matter how efficient your heat, air or water heating is.

Interesting. Are you talking about HWH only or geo in general? If it doesn't pay back in some reasonable time, with your guesses on the trends of utility costs, why would you do it?

I was hot to do geo, but given our energy lifestyle it would never payback here in my lifetime. Swallowed my pride and desires and went with high end DFHP. Much time on this site has also raised the demon about whether I was sophisticated (or lucky) enough to get a good install. For an ole NG furnace and split AC guy that can still remember coal bins, the DFHP seemed like a maze at times.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345