Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koolduct???

Question Koolduct???

We are replacing our existing HP & ductwork. We currently have fiberglass ductboard and have been satisified with it because it is so quiet. One contractor said they use Koolduct for their duct work. Does anyone have an opinion or experience with this type of duct. I am not a fan of metal duct because of the noise and air leakage.

Kool duct is air tight, the joints will be stronger than S and drive cleats.

But on the smaller residential sized ducts, the actual joint itself can be prone to sweating if you run it in unconditioned space and you live somewhere with high or 'tropical' humidity. In this situation you may need a strip of duct wrap insulation around the transverse joints.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I do not think anyone so far on this thread thinks kool duct is metal
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

We live in northern, middle Tennessee so we have high humidity for only a couple of months per year. We have no duct work in our attic. It is all in our basement which is not finished and is not heated or cooled, but we do run a dehumidifier in the summer months to help with humidity. Otherwise it is very comfortable & dry. Our basement has poured concrete walls that are painted and our concrete floor is stained. Our current 19 year old duct is fiberglass ductboard and the contractors could not believe how clean it was when they saw inside of it. I just thought the Koolduct would be a good alternative since I don't like metal that well and most people do not like fiberglass duct.

kool duct should be fine

If it were you putting in a new HP & duct work, what type would you use? Koolduct, Metal, or Fiberglass Duct?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnak View Post
    I do not think anyone so far on this thread thinks kool duct is metal
    No wonder i couldnt get that drive to hold, sheeesh i feel stupid now.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

check local codes also...metal duct work and flex only where i am at.

Hmm IN Code Requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    check local codes also...metal duct work and flex only where i am at.
    Are you saying your LOCAL Code is more restrictive than the Indiana State Mechanical Code for residences?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

sized properly metal duct work is quiet..and you wouldn't be replacing it now. do it once..do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Are you saying your LOCAL Code is more restrictive than the Indiana State Mechanical Code for residences?
    Yes I am, Allen county has the toughest in the state.....I've regularly seen out of county and even state contractors in supply houses scratching there heads over our county codes. Inspected 3 times per new install, gas pipe, rough in and final. Commercial is tough..i am assuming the residential is tough also.
    Last edited by yellowirenut; 11-13-2009 at 04:46 PM.

From these posts, it seems like everyone prefers metal duct. Do you think a metal trunk line with flex duct for the branches would be the best option. We are purchasing a new 3 ton unit. Right now our decision is between Rheem & Carrier. We are looking for a properly matched unit for the tax credit. Any suggestions on the 2 units?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast