Do spacepak/Unico ducts really use less closet space?

I am trying to decide between a high velocity system and a conventional one. I was under the impression that the high velocity system would eat up less of my precious closet space because the ducts are smaller, but the contractor who visited my house said that I actually would need two ducts per closet which ends up taking up more space than the single duct used for a conventional system. Does that makes sense?
    thanks

I would only go top a high velocity system if it were absolutely necessary, like a retrofit in a victorian house or something.

However, it is hard to say what is best for your application from the internet. Need to see the house and the design constraints.

In some cases, you do need 2 supplies to a room where a conventional system would have only needed one.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

larobj63, why do you say you would only go with the high velocity system if absolutely necessary? I see a lot of testimonials from people who love theirs.
    I guess all I can say about the house is that its a 1000sq/ft cape cod (not counting the basement) from the 1940s. It wasnt too complicated to setup the conventional system, its just that in the master bedroom, the closet space is very small, so I dont want to have to give up more than I have to. I just wonder if the contractor was pushing me towards the conventional system because he was more comfortable with it.

Beenthere, why might I need two supplies? My rooms are small.

Quote Originally Posted by dtrachtman View Post
    larobj63, why do you say you would only go with the high velocity system if absolutely necessary? I see a lot of testimonials from people who love theirs.
    I guess all I can say about the house is that its a 1000sq/ft cape cod (not counting the basement) from the 1940s. It wasnt too complicated to setup the conventional system, its just that in the master bedroom, the closet space is very small, so I dont want to have to give up more than I have to. I just wonder if the contractor was pushing me towards the conventional system because he was more comfortable with it.

Beenthere, why might I need two supplies? My rooms are small.
    So your air handler would be in the basement and up thru the closet?
    If only one system for the whole house then one supply duct should only be needed 9" the largest in most cases and then in the attic branch to the desired locations.
    Supply outlets are based upon 7 per ton of air conditioning to have a quite system (air noise), which is distributed to each room and typically installed in the corners of the room.

A room that needs a 7" supply from a conventional system, often needs 2 supplies from a high velocity. A high velocity system, only moves about half as much air as a conventional.

Also, on long runs, you have to add a second run, due to the amount of air loss of the long run.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

actually the air handler will be in the attic.
    That makes sense. Thanks for the help!
    ~Dan

you shouldn't need to use any closet spaces to do a cape. i have done many capes with and without dormers using unico systems. make sure the return pulls the heat out of the top floor. he will need access to the kneewalls and the the suplly tubing is easily snaked from the upper attic to the kneewalls then to the floor below. once in the kneewall he can snake between the floors to get to the back or front of the house. there will be cats (blocks) between the floors some are solid wood or furring strips which the unico flex would cruise thru.

Hmm.. I have received three estimates now. In two of them, we discussed a high velocity system and they both said ducts would have to go through the closets. They were going to start in the attic (thats where the knee walls are, right?). Maybe they weren't as experienced with it as you are, or maybe somehow the layout of my house doesnt work with your solution. I have two more estimates scheduled, and will see what they say. I ofcourse dont know much about this stuff and wouldnt feel comfortable explaining to the contractor how they can in fact bypass the closets.

I have attached a photo of the house if it helps. I will update this thread as this develops.
    thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

is the backside dormered as well? what you have is either a single dormer or if the backside looks like the front a double dormered . the kneewalls are non existant in your picture. kneewalls are present if you walked upstairs and the ceilings are sloped at a forty five degree angle.the kneewall would be starting at the floor and rising up about three to four feet up then the ceiling would start to slope upward. you may heve to use the closets. if you want to bury the mini ducts you could slice open the inside of the closets. you would only need to repair the sheetrock and repaint, but you would have the most valuable real estate in the world intact closet space. my outlook was this if you wanted to make an omlette you need to crack a few eggs. anything is obtainable, you aren't purchasing the most effecient system, but your are interested in saving space so don't do it half assed and lose the closet space. inside pics ?

There are no dormers on the front or the back, its just flat. You're right, this is not something to do half-assed. I will let you know how it goes. thanks

That isn't a cape it is a two story home. Closets are where they are going to go in that house.