Hybrid View

Combustion Inlet Direct Vent

On a pipe-in-pipe direct vented, natural gas, fireplace, can you insulate the outside of the combustion inlet with foil-back fiberglass? Is there a different recommended insulation that can be used?

I haven't seen any mention of yes/no in the install manuals, so I don't know. Or how's about boxing it with firepanel? I find the outside of the combustion inlet gets quite warm after running for a while.

Although the clearances are still outside the install recommendation, I don't want to chance heating up the wood mantle and bookcase from the inside. I guess I could tack fire panel to the mantle and bottom of the bookcase instead, but that wouldn't help the walls and floor. I'm just afraid it may overheat the hollow area under the mantle and bookcase... This is a corner unit as well so the pipes are a little longer than they would be if it was a flat-wall mount.

Thanks.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

All stated clearances are AIR space clearances. You cannot put any insulation of any kind around or against the pipe.

Thumbs down bad idea

gruntly, as JTP stated.

As for your concern, don't be. The testing on these fireplaces, when properly installed allows for a rise in chase temps of 90*F max above ambient. Your mantel's backside and walls are fine. The surface temps in the room can rise 117*F above ambient. This means in a 72*F room, you could expect a mantel temp. up to 189*F and be within the listing.

Just install it per the listed instructions and forget the insulation. BTW, the problem with insulation is, it works. You insulate those surfaces and they will remain at higher temps than if you left them exposed to cooling air.

Hearthman

Thank you both for your posts.

I feel better knowing that it won't be a problem. I built and installed the mantle and bookcase, so I know it exceeds the clearance requirements.

There is a triangular air space of about 5"x5"x6" at the back of the bookcase (bookcase just sits on top the mantle, which also has the triangular opening at the back) that rises up behind to within 5" or 6" of the ceiling that may help "vent" any built up heat from the combustion inlet pipe and the top of the fireplace.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!