Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hmm Bryant Evolution system w/HRV over ventilating

I have a Bryant Evolution System with a Venmar Solo 2.0 connected with the NIM so that it can be controled by the Evolution T-Stat. The house is over ventilated and too dry (like 20%) even with a humidifier in the system. (Cold climate - MN)
    There are 4 settings on the thermostat for the HRV, not counting OFF

High - runs continuously on high
    Low – runs continuously on low and switches to high for some periods of time, not sure why it does that...
    Auto - seems to run continuously on high – if it switches off or to low, I don’t know – after several hours running on high, the house is really dry – low 20% and still continues on high
    Dehum – doesn’t turn on the HRV (probably because the house is dry - but then we get no ventilation.)

Any ideas? Many times an HRV is controled based on humidity or time - 20 minutes on per hour etc. Not with this system.

Thanks

Have you thought about controlling the HRV independently? (I think venmar uses a humidistat)

The bryant control should have a humidity setting.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

That is an option. I originally had it operating independantly BEFORE The new Bryant system was installed. It seemed to make sence to have one central "computer" controlling all systems...only if it has the "brains" to do so I guess.

Dehum might be the setting to use if you only want the HRV to come on once the relative humidity exceeds a certain theshold.

Consult Byrant's manual to see if there's a humidity setting.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Yes there is a humidity setting, but in the modes, HIGH, LOW, and AUTO it is obvious that the system ignores the humidity setting for the HRV. The Humidfier is running lke crazy and the HRV keeps drying out the house.

If you have the Infinity controller try changing the humidity level set higher than normal otherwise your just going to be pitting the humidifier against the HRV where one will humidify and then become too much so the HRV will run and dry the home out. Could also look into changing the HRV to a ERV.

If you need an HRV, you shouldn't really require a humidifier. (need for humidification = high leakage as is)

If you use the dehum setting, and the HRV doesn't come on. Because the humidity doesn't get high enough. Its a pretty good indication. You didn't need the HRV to begin with. As your house isn't that tight then.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for the imput. A few things:
    The HVR is necessary. I do Energy Audits everyday and have my own blower door so I know the house is tight enough to require mechanical ventilation.
    The HVR worked perfectly in the house using the Venmar control before I changed the system to the new Bryant system (The evolution and Infinity is the same system just different names) I spent the extra money for the NIM in order to integrate all devices in one control The Venmar uses the same 4 control wires as the Bryant HRV so one would assume the system would work properly. (My neighbor has the same sytem but is using a Bryant HRV with the NIM and not the Venmar HRV - he does not have this problem)
    The issue appears to be a logic / control function of the T-Stat/Controller calling for ventilation when not needed. It is not s system design issue but a controll issue.

I can easily rewire the unit and reinstall the original control, and "solve" the problem but I spent a few hundred dollars on the NIM and like the concept of using one integrated controller for all devices. I have a feeling there is some simple but obscure answer to have it function properly. My installer is working with the factory to find an answer but no luck so far...

I was hoping to find a Bryant/Carrier installer out there that has installed a NIM with a 3rd party HRV and has solved this problem before... Yes a long shot I know.

I have the Carrier Infinity System with Humidifier and Carrier HRV. My humidity is set on auto and is currenty running betwenn 37-40% with an outside temperature of about 7 celcius. I'm also having a problem with the HRV always running on high when it is on auto. I have had the system for 1 week and it never comes off high.

Quote Originally Posted by Energyauditor View Post
    Thanks for the imput. A few things:
    The HVR is necessary. I do Energy Audits everyday and have my own blower door so I know the house is tight enough to require mechanical ventilation.

How tight, is tight enough. What is your infiltration rate.
    Your OP states you have a humidifier. Which wouldn't be needed on a tight house. That has lower then a .2ACH.

I prefer long shots on the ponies myself.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ventilation dose more thant control humidity. It is a balancing act to ensure enough fresh air - air exchanges and control humidity. The same house will have different ventilation or humidification needs depending on the lifestyle and number of inhabitants. Therefore in a climate like Minnesota it makes perfect sense to have a humidifier as part of a complete HVAC system.
    Specifically the numbers on the house are:
    1287 CFM @ 50Pa
    Minneapolis Leakage Ratio: 0.61 CFM50 per Sq Ft Surface area
    The Recommended Ventilation is 53.2 CFM based on ASHRAE 62.2

The house is 2835 Sq ft and 22,675 CU Ft
    So the 1287 CFM @ 50 PA is a good number meaning the house is tight and requires ventilation.

But you are missing the whole point of my question which is the what is the logic/control on the Evloution/Infinity system and how can I make it work properly.
    If I need 53 CFM and the HRV on low runs at 80 CFM then it only needs to run 40 minutes an hour on average to provide proper ventilation. (If the system had a function that would run 20 minutes ON and 20 OFF that would be perfect)
    The system does not seem to control the ventilation properly.

Oops I forgot this number
    the Infiltration rate is 0.18ACH

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast