No Power to Evolution Controller

No Power to Evolution Controller

We are in the midst of a remodel and a contractor (not an electrician or hvac tech) unhooked my Evolution controller in order to move it. He re-wired it using the color-coded wires but it is not showing power.

When he told me about it, I investigated by checking the breakers on my electrical panel as well as on the heat pump unit. One of the two on the unit was showing red/orange so I flipped it. Still no power in the thermostat.

We then re-opened the thermostat to make sure that the wiring looked correct. It all looked normal to me (but I really don't know anything about it).

I also took out the filter to make sure something hadn't gotten in it, but it looked good and I had just changed it last Thursday.

It is after hours and a service tech cannot get here until tomorrow afternoon. I think it might just be a simple 're-set' type of issue (or at least I'm hoping).

Any suggestions? Husband is out of town and the kids are already compaining that it's cold. Ugh!

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by inINDY View Post
    When he told me about it, I investigated by checking the breakers on my electrical panel as well as on the heat pump unit. One of the two on the unit was showing red/orange so I flipped it. Still no power in the thermostat.
    Sandy
    Sounds like when the tech moved/rewired the controller it tripped the breaker.
    When you say you "flipped it," did you flip it off an then back on?

Assuming the wiring is correct, and a reset of the breaker didn't solve it, you may need to replace a fuse...
    r
    EDIT: I think by "flipped it" you meant you flipped the wires at the stat. I'm assuming this is a Bryant HP unit. The power for the stat comes from a transformer in the HP unit - I wouldn't recommend you get anywhere near the unit. Maybe the contractor turned off the disconnect and forgot to turn it back on?

Thank you for replying, digo.

When I said 'flipped it' I meant that I flipped the breaker (moved it down and then back up) on the unit itself. I also flipped the breaker for the unit in our electrical breaker box.

I was just hoping that there was a re-set sequence for the thermostat or something. You know, a 'hold down these two buttons for 15 seconds' type of thing.

A neighbor stopped by to admire my remodeling mess and he checked the wires at the thermostat, went to see if it looked like the thermostat had gotten disconnected from the unit, hmmmm'd with me while staring at the blank screen, etc.

Guess I will dig out the space heaters and call for service in the morning. Tonight is the night that part of my roof is off so I was going to set the temp super low anyway, to avoid it running all night.

Thanks again! S.

You need to call a service tech to resolve it. A wiring issue is too complex to be diagnosed over any discussion forum.

This is sounding expensive! Did he turn the power off to the system before messing with the stat?
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

I wasn't present when he unhooked it and hooked it back up, but my guess is that he didn't turn the power off before hand, Gunnery. "This is sounding expensive!" is exactly what I was hoping not to hear.

And thank you, HeyBob, for your response. I am on the schedule for a service technician to come out today.

I appreciate this forum. Sandy
    Last edited by inINDY; 11-11-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: to add a frowny face

Sounds like he fried something in the low voltage circuitry.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

The technician is here now. The fuse on the circuit board was blown. He is checking out the other wiring elements before putting in a new one.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by inINDY View Post
    The fuse on the circuit board was blown...
    S.
    Bingo. He should have turned the power off before moving the stat.
    I'd just make sure to pass the cost of this service call to you "contractor."