Bought a cord for winter '09/'10

I have about 1 cord of mixed hardwood remaining from last winter. Most of it I scavenged myself from downed trees or from the power company cutting down trees that are in the way of power lines. It's getting harder and harder to scavenge free wood. My area (northeast Baltimore suburbs) continues to be developed rapidly. The places I used to go to scavenge wood are now houses, strip malls, etc.

I always buy one cord of mixed hardwood per year from the farmer down the road to suppliment what I scavenge. I have dealt with him for about 5 years now. I stick with the same guy because he always has decent wood and never shorts me. Always 128 cubic feet tightly stacked.

This year he held his price the same as last year: $170 for mixed hardwood and $190 for all oak. Prices in the local paper are about $200 per cord.

If you're just buying it now, how do you handle seasoning (drying) the wood in time for the heating season?

Exclamation firewood

Wood cut this fall might be ready for next winter depending upon length cut and storage conditions including protection from rain and adequate air circulation.

Shorter wood dries more quickly. Splitting helps a little but not as much as you might think.

Get a moisture meter for $110 to test your wood. Split a piece then test the heart wood. You want btw 12-18% corrected for temp.
    HTH,
    Hearthman

Quote Originally Posted by tpa-fl View Post
    If you're just buying it now, how do you handle seasoning (drying) the wood in time for the heating season?
    The wood that I just bought is split and fairly seasoned.

I already burned a little. No problem.

Right now it is stacked and getting a sun tan.

I usually buy in late summer, but I didn't this time.

Whatever I don't use from this purchase this year will be used first thing next heating season.

Take care.