+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shame shame!

Post Likes
    Hard to look at isnt it. It is a fire hazzard.

[Edited by Boss on 12-29-2003 at 12:17 PM]

Post Likes

[Edited by Boss on 12-29-2003 at 12:18 PM]

Post Likes
    Went out to a friends house ,he had called and said that he had been having to kick his heat pump to get it to shut off.His contactor was sticking. Imagine my suprise when I went to the crawl and saw this mutha! Installed on its back with no drain for 7 years this thing operated.Crawlspace was still wet from the A/C condensate from the past summer. To top it off my friend was home sick from work with an upper respritory infection. I wonder why. It had 10kw strip heat and was wired to a 100 amp breaker..Gave him a great price on a 12 seer.Laughed all the way home.

Post Likes

That's really scarey!
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Post Likes
    Looks like he needs more then a 12 seer.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes

RE:PINK STUFF????

What is that pink crap on the floor?? Mold?? Were you actually in that stuff?

Post Likes
    At least the furnace is level It is amazing the conditions this stuff will operate under. Now when you tell the home owner that it is installed completely wrong they will tell you "but it's worked "perfectly" for seven years".
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    I got itchy just looking at that.
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes

Re: RE:PINK STUFF????

Originally posted by leework2000
    What is that pink crap on the floor?? Mold?? Were you actually in that stuff?
    I believe thats red clay.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes
    Exactly, It is just red clay. But the grey matter on the side of the air handler is mold. I wish I would have taken some pics of the inside of the cabinet.
    I too am amazed at how they lived comfortably for 7 years with this thing.I talked to the homeowner a week after I relaced the whole system(down to the grilles) and he said that he no longer has to use nose spray . I love going to look at jobs like this one.Always an easy sell,and they are always happy when the job is done.

Post Likes
    Oh yeah, how about those fancy transitions he made to adapt the unit to the existing ductwork. NICE!

Post Likes
    It looks like somebody went to town with the foil tape.

Post Likes

Thumbs down

Comfort is a relative term realy.If people put up with discomfort to long they dont even realize what it should be

Post Likes
    Pretty dang ugly!!!! Wondering if the priciest part of this job was the tape..

Post Likes

update

since it was a friend of yours could you get some pics of the new install like to see the before/after.?

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

There's a ton of jobs around like that and worse

Especially in crawl spaces. It's like the installers are pissed off having to work in the nasty conditions and get-back at somebody by doing the worst possible job.

Crawl space "direct drains" are very common I find. Even if the unit is above in the conditioned space - 1" hole in the floor and there you go! <g>

I looked at one earlier this week where you had to literally crawl though mud and cat shit and who knows what other scary stuff (no lights of course) the entire long length of the house to get to the furnace.

Then the furnace was an 80% with the draft inducer blower gone and some smoke pipe sort of propped and duct taped in it's place. HSI gone and a standing pilot gas valve and pilot assembly shoved in and held with a coat hanger. Transformer out of the cabinet and hanging at the end of it's extension cord. Every control burned away by all the flame that had been apparently burning in the vestibule.

Even the gas valve was a foot out in the air - I gues to avoid having it burn up.

Control System - Extension cord, transformer, stat, gas valve.

And the guy told me that it had been working well since some relative of his had "fixed it" a few years ago.

I don't often refuse to work on things, almost never in fact, but this one I walked. I told that the only answer was a properly installed new one. And either a new access hole, or the furnace installed new the existing access. <g>

They paid the bill in cash, but then I don't know what they did.

PHM
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes

phm

I quit taking any new crawler accounts this week. Same reasons you listed. I'm saving my knees for grandkids.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes

Allergies flaring up

Just looking at that nasty crawlspace.I would'nt service that mess

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

speaking of "mess" - I have one in my office

I have a 90% gas upflow furnace in my office. Which is just a house that I don't live in. The furnace has been a little sporatic, but the girl in the office would turn it off and on and it would run. No mention to me - of course! "didn't want to bother you". <g>

Well, it got so it had to be re-set about every fifteen minutes before she mentioned the problem. Turned out to be a large hole in the heat-X. <g> But . . . Life Time Heat-X Warranty so - no worries, right?

Have it shipped, two hours to exchange it, back in business. Except . . . . . that particular heat-X is no longer available. So? A $350. credit towards the purchase of a new furnace. Which isn't the worst thing in the world, as I have been seriously coveting a 90+% two-stage for a while now. (maybe be careful what I wish for? <g>)

Except that it has been below freezing here for two weeks and so we have more new friends than it's easy to imagine. I personally worked two 20 hour days back to back this past week.

And so I have not been able to get to my own office unit install. The girl who's there much of the time has been a real trooper; first using a small electric heater to heat her office, and then lighting the stove in the kitchen for heat.

She wasn't coming in on Friday and it went down into single digits on Thursday night. So I stopped there and lit four burners on the kitchen stove and set the stat's fan switch to ON. And on Friday morning it was about 80 degrees!

I was still concerned about frozen pipes, so I left two burners going. And the furnace blower. And on Saturday morning it was 70 degrees! So I went down to just one stove burner lit.

Last night it was about 12 degrees out and this morning it was 62 degrees in there.

Now, as I recall; residential kitchen stove burners are about 5000-6000 BTU's each. And the conditioned space is just a bit over 1600 square feet.

So my question is - how is that possible?

How is it possible that, on a nearly design minimum temp day, with one single 5-6K burner as the only source of heat, it is nearly maintaining comfort conditions in the space? <g>

It just amazes me. Any ideas?

PHM
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    You Have any headaces lately???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in