HydroHeat - repair or replace ?

Hi -- I'm looking for some general advice. I have a HydroHeat 4-ton unit installed in 2000 that heats our house - in Canada - with hot water for the radiant heating and hot air for the rest.

In 2007, after 7 years, the compressor jammed and had to be replaced. Now, 2 years on, the replacement has just jammed again and I'm looking at another $ bill.

Both failures were sudden, not preceded by low heat, failure to cycle from hot water to hot air, noise, or anything else. In fact, when the system is working, it's fine.

So my question is this: are HydroHeat units known to burn up compressors? Assuming the distribution system in the house is well installed and well balanced, is there something specific within the unit that could be causing a problem that doesn't show up in faulty performance? Both compressors were Bristols -- should I switch to another brand of compressor?

And the follow-up question: at what point should I cut my losses and install a new unit?

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by beenthere; 11-09-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Removed price

Assuming the distribution system is well installed and balanced. may be what caused the compressor failures.
    They should have checked for cause of failure when they replaced the first one.

Might want to get a new unit. And see if you can get one that qualifies for the 30% tax credit.
    And have the duct system checked. So you don't need to keep replacing compressors.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thought the same thing beenthere but he's a Canadian
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jpb2 View Post
    Thought the same thing beenthere but he's a Canadian

Oooops. In that case. Have them fix the cause. then decide how to proceed from there.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?