Question Fireplace dimensions?

I am building a natural gas outdoor fireplace. I will be using a Comfort Glow 30" vented gas log set (model #: LVDR30). I'm not using an insert, so I have a few questions about proper fireplace dimensions.

1. I have planned for a 36" wide opening, so how do I calculate the rear width, depth, and height of the firebox?

2. How do I calculate the flue size?

3. How do I calculate chimney height?

4. Does one design the firebox, throat, and chimney for gas fireplaces using the same methods as wood burning fireplaces?

Thanks

You listed the log set. How about the burner?

Gas fireplace burner’s are UL listed and in my jurisdiction must be installed by a certified technician. The fire box sizing requirements will be validated during the start up.

Exclamation in over your head

So you know nothing about masonry fireplaces yet have spec'd vented unlisted gas logs from a mfr. out of business to be installed in an undersized fireplace of unknown construction and you want us to help you? Do yourself a favor--talk to your local hearth retailer about outdoor gas hearth appliances designed, engineered, tested and listed for outdoor use installed by a qualified pro. Otherwise, no DIY advice on this site.

FYI, masonry fireplaces must be constructed according to the building code in your jurisdiction. If there are no codes in your area, you can default to NFPA 211 or the IRC Ch. 10.

Hearthman

Exclamation Not a DIY project

Hearthman,

I'm actually not building the outdoor fireplace myself; I'm trying to find a contractor to construct it. I had to fire the original contractor for various reasons . I live in Arizona, so I'm having trouble finding a contractor that is skilled in masonry fireplace construction. Most of the fireplaces in my area are all inserts. I would like to be able to gather some information (that is why I asked the questions in the previous post), so I can ask the appropriate questions when interviewing contractors. I have looked at some of the work of contractors who claim to be skilled in outdoor fireplace construction, but their work does not appear to conform to any codes (see photo of inside chimney as an example) . We thought that we found a reasonable contractor, and he showed us some outdoor fireplaces with the dimensions and log set listed in the previous post (the log set came in his package deal). From what you have stated, I guess that he is not a good candidate either ! So, if you don't mind me asking, are the questions in the previous post "the questions" that I need to be asking? I talked to the city, and an outdoor fireplace does not require a permit, so I just want to be safe and make sure that I hire someone who knows what he is doing! The last thing that I want is to waste a lot of money on an outdoor fireplace that is unsafe and does not function properly!

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pellet Insert Manufacturer

Can anyone tell me who the manufacturer of this pellet insert is? Photos attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"--Wayne Gretzky

first of all, start a new thread.
    secondly, it should have a rating plate on it with clearances and listing information (and hopefully the make/model), if it does not it should be removed and trashed.