decisions on heat pump

Looks like I have come to the right place and I am asking for advice...

I have a 9 year old 3300 sq ft 2 story home in VA... came with couple of Goodman units one (I bought the home when it was 5 years old) of which I already had to replace... opted for Carrier 25HBR336A300 per the advice of the contractors at that point.

Now I think based on system performance of the other this past winter and summer I should replace it, as my bills are higher and it only keeps it warm to 2 -3 degrees below my setting of 71 (and its not even cold outside yet) and did not do much better for cooling last summer (3 degress higher than set at 78)

I would like to put in another Carrier I think and also get the 1500 credit for tax... I do not expect to stay in this home more than a few more years a most, so do not want to go high end as I think it is not worth it for me... thinking "performance" vice "infinity" if it will qualify for the tax credit...
    Any thoughts and recommendations are much appreciated!! Thanks!

Hmm Much more complex than you have mentioned ...

Quote Originally Posted by navybidness View Post
    I have a 9 year old 3300 sq ft 2 story home in VA... came with couple of Goodman units one (I bought the home when it was 5 years old) of which I already had to replace...

opted for Carrier 25HBR336A300 per the advice of the contractors at that point.

Now I think based on system performance of the other this past winter and summer I should replace it, as my bills are higher and it only keeps it warm to 2 -3 degrees below my setting of 71 (and its not even cold outside yet) and did not do much better for cooling last summer (3 degress higher than set at 78)

Any thoughts and recommendations are much appreciated!! Thanks!
    Proper charge and air flow must be set-up.

Manual J calc required and the system arrangements must be determined.

Air flow for each room must be measured and compared to Manual J results.

What are the areas served by Each unit?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

The upstairs is about 1400 sq ft - new unit; downstairs is 18-1900sq ft - unit I think needs replacement; contractors are coming out in next few days to tell me what they think and recommend..

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Proper charge and air flow must be set-up.

Manual J calc required and the system arrangements must be determined.

Air flow for each room must be measured and compared to Manual J results.

What are the areas served by Each unit?
    Find a Por that can do the above,at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by navybidness View Post
    I have a 9 year old 3300 sq ft 2 story home in VA... came with couple of Goodman units one (I bought the home when it was 5 years old) of which I already had to replace
    Only 10% of HVAC equip. fails in 9 yrs or less. Maybe there is some external problem overstressing your unit.

how good a unit works depends greatly on how its installed and if they do the right steps to install it. also heat pumps should be setup correctly to get your most money out of them. Try a lennox. you wont be disappointed

Thanks

All good info... I concur that a heat pump should not fail in sucha short period of time, unless some other issue exists... the person who replaced the one 2 years ago said they were both undersized for the house and so we put in a larger one for the upstairs... also he said the "duct work was acceptabel, but not great." Not sure what that means but he wanted what I thought was allot to "fix" esepcially since I do not anticipate being in the house that long...
    First contractor is coming out this week to take a look for me... let you know what revelations he may have...
    Appreciate the inputs you all have made...