Accuclean Problems?

I've had an Accuclean running in my home for the last two years and have been diligent about keeping it clean. Over time, I've noticed rust build up on the pins of the field charger which doesn't come off by cleaning with styrofoam. Recently, the system began arcing and I could smell ozone in the house (I'm a chemist so I know the smell well). Cleaning the pins with plumber's fine grit sanding cloth removed the rust and the arcing ceased, but I still smell ozone when I fire up the system

Is this a common problem with the Accuclean or is it particular to my system? I do have an air-humidifier installed in-line before the Accuclean that we run in the winter (New England). Would that cause the rust?

Many thanks for your help and thanks for providing an informative site that I've learned a lot from.

-Jim

Hmmmm, we're considering Accuclean with an American Standard new install, and I'd sure like to know what happened with your system; in 2005 there was a recall on them due to an arcing problem. How was your problem resolved? Ozone-producing air filters are problematic for people with asthma - and I have 2 asthmatic children but am being told the Accuclean doesn't produce it.

It's still in the process of being resolved. Our system is under warranty and my dealer said he would have it replaced, but that was three months ago. I've given up and purchased a 5" HEPA filter online and installed it in place of the Accuclean. The problem I had wasn't related to the recall but something different and I'm not sure how common it is (although I did read about one other person with a similar issue). Personally, I don't like the Accuclean and would not buy it again. I also will keep the HEPA filter and replace it every six months, even if I do get the Accuclean charger replaced. The Accuclean never seemed to collect much dust, not nearly as much as the filter removes, and I too have two asthmatic kids that I'd like to protect.

Have you tried adjusting the output down?
    What local are you in?

AccuClean/CleanEffects air cleaners, I've heard, are good but they do have some disadvantages. Mostly that they're difficult to get as clean as they should be & that arcing thing. I wouldn't use them until they address at least those two issues.
    WHY?

Stamas: I had it on the medium setting, I didn't turn it all the way down. I do think the problem was that I had the humidifier in the line and that it gets pretty humid here in Massachusetts.

It sounds like you are familiar with these. Should I be surprised that it never seemed to collect much visible debris in the collection cells? The prefilter collected some, but everything else seemed to stay pretty clean.

Visible is the key word. I have sold them to customers that specifically asked for them-I was reluctant to use them because a: They were new and didn't want to be the Beta testers or my customers and b: I don't like electronic air cleaners, prefer media types. But I put one in my house to give it a whirl on the downstairs system-upstairs not used much, but have 3 cats and 2 dogs.
    When I cleaned them I was impressed with the dirt that came out-dirt I didn't see. Not pushing them-I still have reservations about them, but I did want to see for myself. I think they need some more improvements, especially with the door.
    Customers really like them for some reason, 2 have bought additional ones. But that could be Emperors Clothes syndrome.

reluctant to use them

Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    Visible is the key word. I have sold them to customers that specifically asked for them-I was reluctant to use them because a: They were new and didn't want to be the Beta testers or my customers and b: I don't like electronic air cleaners, prefer media types. But I put one in my house to give it a whirl on the downstairs system-upstairs not used much, but have 3 cats and 2 dogs.
    When I cleaned them I was impressed with the dirt that came out-dirt I didn't see. Not pushing them-I still have reservations about them, but I did want to see for myself. I think they need some more improvements, especially with the door.
    Customers really like them for some reason, 2 have bought additional ones. But that could be Emperors Clothes syndrome.

You left out the most important one.....#3 high pressure drop!
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook