Thread: WebCtrl

WebCtrl

I have been tasked with a site that has WebCtrl workstation software.

Is there anywere I can get documentation/information etc on Webctrl equipement programming to include as indepth as if I was going to start the job from the ground up so I can throughly understand there products/capabilities etc.

I am knowlegeable with Delta OrcaView and JCI stuff

Thank you
    UA Local 141

The software has built in help for just about anything you could want but no printed or soft manual that I know about. We had to make our own manual for the product (SiteScan) to fill customer demand.

I know there is a forum and network of support that I am not allowed in as I belong to the OEM side of the house, not sure but I think you need to be a registered dealer to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    The software has built in help for just about anything you could want but no printed or soft manual that I know about. We had to make our own manual for the product (SiteScan) to fill customer demand.

I know there is a forum and network of support that I am not allowed in as I belong to the OEM side of the house, not sure but I think you need to be a registered dealer to get in.
    Is it on the automated logic website or an extenal site?
    UA Local 141

I just read something that said Carrier corporation has aquired Automated Logic...
    UA Local 141

Quote Originally Posted by berg2666 View Post
    I just read something that said Carrier corporation has aquired Automated Logic...
    Where have you been the last three years?

On the WebCTRL machine: C:\WebCTRL4.1SP1\webroot\_common\lvl5\help\trainin g\(OPR, FieldTech, something I don't remember)

Assuming the system is installed on drive C and substitute 4.1SP1 with whatever version you have. In the training directory there are three subdirectories with different interactive training courses. They're nothing to write home about but they do cover most tasks step by step providing narration. Other than that I think you're stuck with the help menu which is pretty decent IMHO but there are sections that are fairly unlcear and there are several undocumented features. I think you have to be a dealer to gain access to their online information, I know they don't allow access to end users.

D1G

Quote Originally Posted by berg2666 View Post
    Better not let your customers know that.

Quote Originally Posted by freddy-b View Post
    Where have you been the last three years?
    Not paying attention to automated logic.
    UA Local 141

What about factory/admin passwords?
    UA Local 141

IIRC the default admin account and password was "administrator" and "sa" but the password could have been "administrator", it's tough to keep track of all the default accounts.

Doesn't your client have an account with admin privileges? If they do you can just change the administrator password to whatever you want or just create your own account. I can't imagine someone leaving the default administrator password unchanged on a live system. I haven't found any backdoor factory accounts and believe me when I say I've looked.

If none of that works try:
    herel
    or
    here
    or
    Call the original installer and ask nicely or better yet have the end user call and ask for the admin password since they do have every right to it.

Out of the box on a new job file the administrator password is blank. I am sure everyone changes that to something on the first run but there is no back door at all. Maybe ALC could do something if you sent a backup in but I am sure it would involve triplicate paperwork. Only thing close to it is the administrator account can't be deleted or have the privileges reduced. Damn straight the customer should have admin. We always handover the actual administrator account to their IT security or admin and then make an admin for our selves and whoever else the customer deems responsible.

Brute force cracking won't work on it either, default is to lock accounts after three attempts but that feature is only on the newer versions. Be aware if you try this you will be getting system alarms that will likely page out that the system is under attack. Always fun when IT does a security scan in the middle of the night and the engineers get paged for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    Out of the box on a new job file the administrator password is blank. I am sure everyone changes that to something on the first run but there is no back door at all. Maybe ALC could do something if you sent a backup in but I am sure it would involve triplicate paperwork. Only thing close to it is the administrator account can't be deleted or have the privileges reduced. Damn straight the customer should have admin. We always handover the actual administrator account to their IT security or admin and then make an admin for our selves and whoever else the customer deems responsible.

Brute force cracking won't work on it either, default is to lock accounts after three attempts but that feature is only on the newer versions. Be aware if you try this you will be getting system alarms that will likely page out that the system is under attack. Always fun when IT does a security scan in the middle of the night and the engineers get paged for that.
    If you have access to the box just grab the hashes and crack them offline
    edit: Assuming they're not stored in plain text.

I should have clarified that you should not try that over the network all you're going to do is lock out the admin account unless they have changed the security settings. You could have lots of fun with that though, everyone comes in on Monday to find they're locked out of the system.

I've had to recover account passwords in this way numerous times where the admin has retired or forgotten their password. The first two options were more for levity than anything. Asking for admin rights is a much simpler approach.

I'm interested how a "security scan" would generate any alarms in WebCTRL? We scan our systems frequently (Retina, Nessus, etc.). I've never seen the WebCTRL server so much as hiccup which is more than I can say for some of our other systems. Are you referring to the network IDS calling the systems engineer or WebCTRL itself?

Respectfully,
    D1G