banging of pipes

so the pipes were banging on this steam boiler when it started raising pressure. the banging was really bad. the water as the boiler was running was moving lower and lower in the glass till it was gone. So i shut off boiler. I decided to drain down the boiler. I decided to remove the sight glass and clean it and i also pulled off the pig tail and flushed the gunk out of it. then i took low water cut off sensor out and cleaned it. put everything back together flush some water throu the boiler. filled boiler back up. then all that loud banging went away. the water even stopped surging it just stayed at the same level as my boiler cycled at proper pressures. could i have had a clogged return and by flushing out my boiler cleared it out?

I have a steam boiler coming up next week. Sounds weired, was it a new install? If not it sounds to me that that pig tail might of cause that. If thats clogged the boiler isn't going to shut off on pressure 5-7 psi or 3-5 psi? The burner wouldn't shut of causing most of the water if not all to turn to steam but then if it ran that low on water the low water cut off should of shut down. Hope you get some better advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinpadalino View Post
    I have a steam boiler coming up next week. Sounds weired, was it a new install? If not it sounds to me that that pig tail might of cause that. If thats clogged the boiler isn't going to shut off on pressure 5-7 psi or 3-5 psi? The burner wouldn't shut of causing most of the water if not all to turn to steam but then if it ran that low on water the low water cut off should of shut down. Hope you get some better advice.
    that was why i cleaned the sensor for the low water cut off. the water level went below the sensor to the bottom of the sight glass. that was where i decided to turn it off. the boiler was around for a few years. Im thinking hte return was kinda plugged. if that was the case my boiler water would turn to steam. as it condensates it blocks up the pipes now if i have water in my steam main that can't return that is what causes hammering in the pipes. the hammering was really bad till i flushed the boiler out and cleaned the sight glass pipes and the pig tail. the boiler was then cycling between 1/2 a lb and 3 lbs. I wish i could get a guy who works on alot of these to let me know if i am making sense here of if that banging might return.

Get your post count up to 15, and apply for Pro Membership.
    Use this link Apply for Pro Membership

Once accepted, you have access to the pro tech forums. Where you can ask and get answers to technical questions.

Plus, you also have access to the Pro Educational Forums.

All of it is free.

Then you can post questions like this, in the pro hydronics/boilers forum. And get answers.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

ok i'll try to get my posts up. its not easy thou when most the things im seeing is homeowners who say they had a few techs and parts not related to there problems are changed. Or they feel they were ripped off cause they went with cheapest price and now are paying for it. now they are doing it themselves. Me im getting dirty playing with munchkins and boderus gb boilers. then on occasions i get a steamer. this was the first time i ever seen a steamer banging and clanking in the pipes. Or how about those traingle tubes indirects. they look like hot water tanks but how would one ever drain it if there is a problem. the only drain i found was on the cold water feed line into the boiler, and thats on the top.

Those and other questions can be answered in the pro forums.

There is an easy way to drain that tank. If it was installed properly.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I like to invite trouble upon myself: 15 post and then apply for pro (where this does need to be).

gamblin addict: have you heard of a hartford loop?

Everything you said and have done as lead me to believe you ran into what is know as the phantom water line.What happen foaming from a dirty system will drop the water in the glass but not the boiler.

Make you say what the #^%*! Anytime you see droplets on the guage glass above the water line its time for a good cleaning.Start checking your ph levels.

Most time when you get banging on startup it cause is dirty water and wet steam.