Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question outdoor condensing fan

I can run my air conditioner for 5 to 10 minutes before the outdoor condensing fan motor makes a noise, stops turning, and then I get no cool air. The motor is also hot to the touch. The unit is 10 years old, and just before this happened it was making an "uggh" noise when it ran, and seemed louder than it should be. Can anyone tell me what the problem is, and how much I might be looking at for a repair????

I had a tech tell me last year that the capacitor was drawing too many amps. He was a shady looking dude, and tried to tell me he could swap it out for $. That seemed like way too much,and the air ran fine for another whole summer without a new capacitor. I looked at the capacitor a few days ago and it appeared to look normal, not swollen or misshapen. I'm an aircraft mechanic, and can probably fix this with the right guidance. Anybody wanna help?
    Last edited by beenthere; 11-06-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Removed price

Questions and discussions pertaining to HVAC for the home. No pricing, no DIY, Thank You.

Please read Site Rules Thank you.

Call a different HVAC company if you didn't like the other tech.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

how bout some mercy here

Ok moderator, my bad, so don't tell me how much, and don't tell me how to do it,,, just point me in the right direction. I'm not calling another company, because I'm laid off and broke. Somebody show me some mercy, and tell me what you think is probably happening, and I'll do the rest. I'm not trying to take anyone's job at A/C repair, I'm just trying to get my unit going with little or no money to do it with. I live in Phoenix, where it's still pretty doggone warm.
    my email is <email addresses aren't allowed in post either>
    Last edited by beenthere; 11-06-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Removed email address

Batman, the other Rule Mr. Mod didn't tell you, "This Is Not A Do It Yourself Site". It's not anyone is trying to be a Butt Hole but that's the Rules.

Robin

Look at it this way. You may be laid off.

But, if you repair it yourself. An HVAC tech could also get laid off.

Or, you could do more harm to your system.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by atomsmasher View Post
    Ok moderator, my bad, so don't tell me how much, and don't tell me how to do it,,, just point me in the right direction. I'm not calling another company, because I'm laid off and broke. Somebody show me some mercy, and tell me what you think is probably happening, and I'll do the rest. I'm not trying to take anyone's job at A/C repair, I'm just trying to get my unit going with little or no money to do it with. I live in Phoenix, where it's still pretty doggone warm.
    my email is <email addresses aren't allowed in post either>
    We're trying.

for example: I have an airplane making a funning noise. Can you point me in the right direction? I want to fix it myself.

thanks.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    for example: I have an airplane making a funning noise. Can you point me in the right direction? I want to fix it myself.

thanks.

While it's in the Air, right?

Yup. Hey, if he still has money to pay an internet service provider he has no mercy from me. Bet his cable is still on.

Charity AC Co. just filed bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post

thanks.
    Just spray a little WD-40 in the turbo, that always quiets them down.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Just spray a little WD-40 in the turbo, that always quiets them down.

I considered suggesting spraying the Muffler Bearing with some "Monkey Pee" aka WD-40 but... you never know. Yea, that muffler right there. 'bout a 50/50 since most muffler bearings are sealed. Might be the wiggly washer on the wobble shaft alignment too.

Hey guys, be gentle... some of you were not that helpful by being not that freindly.
    It's not funny to make fun of the HO for his being honest with us.

It's NOT about who gets paid or laid-off or anything money, it's about safety, having the problem fixed correctly and also choosing the right contractor by being armed with some knowledge.

I know that OP clearly mentioned he wants to DIY, this is not good.

I emailed him before his address was removed. If he was close by I'd gladly go check it for him. I feel sure he knows what the problem is he just needed some reassurance. Technically I'm a mechanic, so I am sure he can remove a couple of wires and install a new part (after he pulls the Disconnect)!

If you read through the poo Mr. Mod hinted to a solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast