+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Need Federal Licensing!!!! Fed Up With Hacks!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Honestly, licensing and codes are only as good as enforcement. I've seen some pretty bad jobs that I have no idea how they passed inspection and I know they were inspected. We also have licensing in Texas. So it really is nothing more than a money grab for the cities, states, etc... I'll get a job like that sometimes, where it is so f#%ked up there is nothing to do but blow it up and start over. But nobody wants to pay and they don't want to pay for your service call. Just smile and walk away and chalk it up to being part of the job on occasion. Your life isn't going to end because of it, so don't sweat it.
    Exactly,a statewide license has done really nothing to raise quality here in Tx (I've been licensed since nearly the beginning)) so another license wont help either.How much EPA enforcement on refrigerant at the small guy level do you see?

Post Likes
    Laws do two things:

They keep honest people honest....
    And...
    They provide a vehicle for a polecat to persecute the competition of their campaign donors.
    BOTH are not good for the population.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    The law keeps legitimate companies under CONTROL, but does absolutely NOTHING for illegitimate companies.

I've heard it directly from an official, there is no money in the budget to investigate and prosecute illegitimate companies!!!
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    The law keeps legitimate companies under CONTROL, but does absolutely NOTHING for illegitimate companies.

I've heard it directly from an official, there is no money in the budget to investigate and prosecute illegitimate companies!!!
    Yes....

Which just proves that govt regulation... does not work.

If the govt were serious about providing quality... there WOULD be a budget to chase down and deal with unlicensed folks.
    The reality is... licensing is ONLY for revenue... nothing else.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    State wide licensing, I'm in Iowa, the only good I see that has happened is I can go to any other city in the state, pull a permit if needed and do work. Therefore it opens my potential opportunities without an increase in license fees. So I could go from Davenport to Des Moines 180 mile away and or back to Cedar Rapids 90 Miles away without having a different license. I've made those trips, by the time you pay for fuel, food and housing it really does not pay off for just a couple days work in each place

Nationwide Licensing should work the same way if you could figure out how to get the bureaucrats out of the way. Not likely nationwide License would ever get everyone to agree to a code and the demonstrated skill levels and would never work out

The harder part I think does not even have anything to do with state or federal government. That is if you are in a different local for an extended period is the ability to get parts. So many of the parts houses if they don't know you will not sell you parts. The exception would be if you get your parts just from someone like a Grainger, Fergussons or Dennis Co that has a national chain, but they are not in every location.

Post Likes
    In Iowa they set up the state wide program, home office in the state capital, hired the office staff, bought the trucks, laptops, etc. all the stuff so inspectors could be mobile. But have never hired any inspectors because it cost to much to hire people and or pay their expenses.

It takes 8 to 12 weeks for them to answer a simple license question in writing. Need to forget about phone or email. Unless they want something.

They have fined the law breakers, Charges court filings and resolution are all public information, most everything I read was about someone failing to meet what the paperwork process needed. I did read one I thought interesting. One guy with a license hired four non licensed guys to go install gas lines to the gas meters, they all worked for a gas distribution company. They fined him a small amount and told him to hire licensed people. Now the way the code reads the gas companies are exempt from the licensing requirements because they have their own qualification programs and distribution system is owned by them. Go figure

Post Likes
    You do know that this thread is 6 years old?

Post Likes
    An oldie but a goody

Post Likes
    Jeez, Coolwhipped, this thread has been reactivated for some time now. It's not 6 years old, it is 6 years running. Do try to keep up, or at least post something useful.

Sorry, forgot who I was talking to....
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Good to see you back Robo
    Everyone fine

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Good to see you back Robo
    Everyone fine
    I've always been behind the scenes, just not posting as much so as not to offend sensitive members.

Doing good. Got all of my veins removed from both legs, so I'm like a new old guy.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I've always been behind the scenes, just not posting as much so as not to offend sensitive members.

Doing good. Got all of my veins removed from both legs, so I'm like a new old guy.
    Glad to hear

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in