+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Residential install intern DFW

Post Likes

Residential install intern DFW

I am a commercial/industrial refrigeration technician in the DFW area looking to expand my knowledge base. I started this trade in service; therefore, I have little knowledge about residential installation practices (especially duct work). I started trying to figure out manual j and have been reading through manual d, but there is no substitute for hands on experience. I am trying to find someone in the area that would let me help out on a couple of installation jobs so that I can get an idea of what is involved and let me ask questions. I do have a full time job currently, so If there is work on the weekend that would be best. Otherwise, I'll take a couple days off during the week for "training". Thanks in advance.

Camron

Post Likes
    Installers generally do not know Manual J or D. The license holder designs the system and installers are suppose to build it that way. Install is very much grunt work. I have subbed out install for years and always learning from my installer tricks and short cuts that they know. Do you have any enviromental air experience?

Post Likes
    Go knock on the door of some local HVAC Co. I think a smaller shop would be more open to your idea. Good Luck.

Post Likes
    its a liability issue, you would have to sign waivers...not sure if any one would take the risk...
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    TimJimBob - I didn't figure that the installers would know what a manual j or d is. I think I have access to enough brainpower and resources to figure those out. I have run service calls here and there on split systems. Most were furnaces, not much heat pump where I came from. I think I could install a small, basic system with the knowledge that I have. I was mostly looking to pick up a few tricks and make sure I'm not completely off base.

Techman - This was my first attempt at "door knocking". If I don't get a response here I'll start to look locally.

Artie- I had already considered the liability and that it might be a problem. I think the perfect situation would be a one man show that I could tag along with, and pick their brain in exchange for a little help. I have a potential installation for a friend of mine coming up. If that goes through then I'll just post my work on here and accept the constructive criticism. I'm not trying to go from where I'm at to residential installer, I just feel like I missed a step somewhere on the journey to being a better technician.

Post Likes
    your on the right track, for most the "constructive criticism" on this site is taken as abrasive, but it will help. So you should have a thick skin, and there will always be something you miss, whether it be a clean out, flue slope, lighting issue in an attic etc...remember if anyone says they know it all and make no mistakes they are lying...we all make mistakes, its how you handle that mistake that makes you a true technician or a hack. Good luck!
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in