Cool Carrier Replacement Furnace

I have a 100 year old, 2 story brick home in S.E. Wisconsin with 2,000 square feet and 9' ceilings. I am replacing a 25 year old, 100,000 BTU Lennox Pulse furnace with a Carrier Furnace that qualifies for the tax credit - Infinity ICS, Infinity 96, Performance 95 or Comfort 95.
    The ductwork will remain the same with the supply lines located on the interior walls and the return lines on the exterior. This is how the home was originally built.
    For the specifics shown above - particularly the duct set-up - are there any advantages/disadvantages to having multi heat stages and variable speed blowers as found in the Infinity models vs. 1 or 2 stage heating and specific blower speeds as offered in the Performance or Comfort series?
    Also, if in between sizes - is bigger better?
    Thanks.

Living in the same area as you I would go for a multi-stage because when it's 50 deg. outside you don't need your furnace turning on and off constantly to hold temperature. They are much more efficient running at a lower capacity for longer. But at the same time we get enough below zero nights where you'll be glad that you have that second stage. As far as bigger being better that is not generally the case but a lot of people go with it because if your heat loss calc. is off you could have huge problems if the unit is undersized.

Carrier Replacement Furnace

Big Unit -

Thanks for the info.

No bigger is not better...at least not in this case. If your furnace is 25 yrs old then it is prob already slightly to big. Fuel was cheaper insulation was rare, and contractors were not exactly precise with heat load calcs. Remember your furnace is built for the coldest day of the year, all the rest of the time it is oversized.

I'm from WI also, go with the ICS Infinity, you'll love it, low stage runs about 70% of the time in winter, and only runs in high fire when it dips into the single digits and below 0 otherwise when you run the blower fan 24/7 and set the stat to your desired set-point and let it run, pair it with a Performance HP for Hybrid heat and you'll be set and basically have 5 stages of heat for all seasons.

Agree with all (chicagoland native) but hate to see that Pulse Go. You will be extremely happy though. It will dehumidfy like a dream.

To press upon what others have said: Without a thorough site survey, do not go bigger! Found the current units actually oversized anyway even in historic farm homes where current units "seemed" to be doing well.

Instead of having a diesel rumbling in your basement, you'll have a furnace you won't be able to hear

Quote Originally Posted by DGIO-Not View Post
    Agree with all (chicagoland native) but hate to see that Pulse Go. You will be extremely happy though. It will dehumidfy like a dream.

To press upon what others have said: Without a thorough site survey, do not go bigger! Found the current units actually oversized anyway even in historic farm homes where current units "seemed" to be doing well.
    My home is approx 1600 sq ft and I have the 60K unit, there's times I think it's oversized but that's the smallest unit available.

Cool Carrier Replacement Furnace

Again - thanks for all the input.
    To take this one step further, two of the bedrooms in the far corners of the second floor never seem to completely get as comfortable as the rest of the house with the present Pulse in play. ( For that matter, they don't cool off compared to the other rooms in the summer, either. ) The thermostat is on the first floor.
    Could the ductwork layout - supply ducts on inside walls - be a factor in this problem even with a new furnace? Would the ICS take care of this problem with its multiple heat stages and variable blower or would one of the other Carrier models work better with 1 or 2 stage heating and a specifically set higher speed blower like the Comfort 95?
    Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyboy123 View Post
    Again - thanks for all the input.
    To take this one step further, two of the bedrooms in the far corners of the second floor never seem to completely get as comfortable as the rest of the house with the present Pulse in play. ( For that matter, they don't cool off compared to the other rooms in the summer, either. ) The thermostat is on the first floor.
    Could the ductwork layout - supply ducts on inside walls - be a factor in this problem even with a new furnace? Would the ICS take care of this problem with its multiple heat stages and variable blower or would one of the other Carrier models work better with 1 or 2 stage heating and a specifically set higher speed blower like the Comfort 95?
    Thanks again for your help.
    The supplys being located on inside walls are not helping your problem, but you will have a hard time balancing the two floors no matter what. I would say that the ICS blower will help by maintaining the required Static pressure in the duct, however given the design of the duct I doubt it was engineered to maintain a pre-determined SP. The higher speed blower is not the answer, and could even make the problem worst. This is a very tough problem to fix and sometimes impossible without adding equipment or duct.
    Last edited by motojo; 11-09-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: mistake