Carrier 2 Stage AC Worth It?

Hi folks - I posted a few questions before and you've been a help.

I'm finally getting a new system at my home in Maryland. I found an installer I like and am taking advantage of the carrier rebates. I have 2 quotes, both use the ICS vari-speed gas furnace. I'm debating going with the Infinity 2 stage AC unit or with a Performance series single stage.

The performance is a 2.5 ton 16 SEER and the Infinity is a 1.5/3 ton at 17.5.

What are the main advantages of the Infinity? I believe it's less temperature swing and some efficiency improvement. Naturally, I'm leaning towards the Performance for cost, however... My furnace is right next to the living room in a utility closet. If I get the Performance AC, which always runs at full cooling, does that mean I won't get any advantage from the variable speed blower in my furnace? I know that I will for heating but what about cooling? If there's only 1 stage AC, will the fan run at the higher speed all the time? I'm interested for noise reduction since the furnace is right next to the living room and the TV.

Thanks for any input,
    Jim

I am in MD and have both systems ( 2 zones), One Infinity furnace with a 1 stage Performace and one Bryant Evolution with the 2 stage 16 Evolution. Prefer the 100 % Evolution over the Infinity with the Performace. The Infinity will adjust the blower speed but not as much as the two stage system. It is my understanding you can now get a two stage Performance but it might not qualify for the rebate.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I think you find the 2 stage Performance meets the tax credit,I know the 5 ton does.

I built a new home in Chattanooga TN and ran the numbers for the Infinity versus the base 13 SEER unit. The cost difference for two units was $. Even after factoring the tax credit, the payback was 20 years. Needless to say, I didn't go with the upgrade.

Be careful buying the high SEER unit unless you do A LOT of cooling. The number that I ran showed that the cooling was, at best, 30% more efficient and the heating about 9% more efficient.

And, before I get blasted, the certified contractor agreed with my numbers.
    Last edited by beenthere; 11-05-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Removed prices

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by tony1963 View Post
    I built a new home in Chattanooga TN and ran the numbers for the Infinity versus the base 13 SEER unit. The cost difference for two units was $. Even after factoring the tax credit, the payback was 20 years. Needless to say, I didn't go with the upgrade.

Be careful buying the high SEER unit unless you do A LOT of cooling. The number that I ran showed that the cooling was, at best, 30% more efficient and the heating about 9% more efficient.

No prices allowed,sorry see the rules.

Plus that number sounds way off,as the difference.

IMHO,you and the contractor may be both off in your numbers,for sure here in Florida.with the cooling hours we have
    Last edited by beenthere; 11-05-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Removed price from quote

Tony. Read the site rules before posting again.

No prices in post. I already removed it from your post.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by tony1963 View Post

Some customers save more then those cals show. Because they can set their stat 2 degrees warmer in summer, or cooler in winter. And still be as, and sometimes more comfortable then if they had a single stage unit.

As long as your happy with your choice.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

IMO I think people get too wrapped up in how fast there pay back is going to be, and should look more at the cost savings per month and how much more comfortable a person will be over the pay back on their investment. To me I would consider comfort over payback and monthly savings over return on investment for equipment that in theory isn't nearly as much as people put into the cost of a home, car, wide screen, ect....