Searched... but still can't find what Ogee offset means

I know what the fitting is... but does anyone know what the word ogee means? or comes from? If I can tell my sheet metal teacher what it means I get an extra hour toward turning out. (pretty insignificant but still)

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Angel View Post
    I know what the fitting is... but does anyone know what the word ogee means? or comes from? If I can tell my sheet metal teacher what it means I get an extra hour toward turning out. (pretty insignificant but still)
    "a double curve, resembling the letter S, formed by the union of a concave and a convex line."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ogee?db=*

If you're a dude, the teacher should take three hours away for calling yourself Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by sprintmj19 View Post
    If you're a dude, the teacher should take three hours away for calling yourself Angel.
    I'm making the assumption that his name is Angel.
    Just as I am making the assumption that you are uncultured, possibly even uneducated.
    It is a name commonly used in Latin countries.
    In Italian the name Angelo is fairly common.

Why would you make the assumption his name is Angel?

Is your name rrr?

Me, uncultured? Uneducated? Surely, you jest!

Sorry, didn't mean to assume your name was Shirley.

He doesn't call himself Angelo, now, does he?

Lighten up there, thump!!! Get those undies out of a bunch and chill, OK?

As stated, ogee refers to "s" shaped. The root word, ogive (pronounced o-jive) is an early architectural term for a structural arch. The nose cone of rockets is referred to as an ogive shape and is given that shape for structural purposes.

So, on ogee, or double ogive form can give otherwise flimsy sheetmetal a significant structural advantage. Ogee design is most common in rain gutters and architectural moldings.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

When ever one of those fittings came across the lay out table......the layout man always would say OH-GEE one of those again. eventually it just stuck as an ogee fitting. usually meant because of some poor piss planing the job needed an O-G fitting.

whenever I made one the front office wanted to know so they could investigate, some job specs do not allow O-G fittings.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Pretty much, every round heeled and throated offset is an ogee fitting.

As to the more fun versions, I always figured the person working on the fitting realized it was going the wrong way and said "oh gee", it should go the other way.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I've always assumed it to mean " compound curve " ...as it was referenced in some old sheet metal layout books that I have .

Compound curves developed by plotting points from plan and elevation drawings as to establish a " true stretchout " free-hand curve for the flat pattern. Not really " triangulation " ..but similar. Radial line development it's called ( I think ).

I have seen compound curved 90's assembled with " double seam " and I've always wanted to learn that. I have some old Pexto and Niagra paperwork showing " stake tables " and the tools that go in them. Rotory seamers and dies specificly for double seam edges were something I never had the means for. It pains me to think how much of this is probably thrown away because no one knows what it is for.

note : compound curve meaning that all paterns curve ( not a flat plane as to run through a pittsburg machine or something ). " Formed by the union of a concave and a convex line" as stated in the first reply.

OGee, That's the transition you just realized you were off on your measurements, then it becomes the Osh$t transition!

Over means "tangent arcs". Enjoy your hour!