Who Knows about TREND Controls...the brand..

Who Knows about TREND Controls...the brand..

Hi there...I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is a TREND controls dealer. I am trying to find out if the IQ251 controller is still current and if so how long has it got to run in its present format....where is it in the life cycle. I have a few of them on a job and doing some analysis...they seem pretty tough...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    PBW

>IQ251 controller is still current and if so how long has it got to run in its present format

It’s a beast and still in production. I have not heard anything that would indicate they are going to discontinue it, but we do not use many of them here.

Trend Controls

Trend Control Systems is based in Horsham, Sussex in the UK - and is now part of the Honeywell group. They are the market leader in controls in the UK.

The IQ251 is the largest IO point count controller of the IQ2xx range and has been around for 10+ years. Both it and its predessors IQ151+ and IQ151 are top notch and just keep on trucking.

In 20 years never really had a problem with any one of them.

There is now a series 3 set of controllers IQ3xx, which are completely different - having CAT5 network structure and different software assembly routines, etc.

Talk of around 5 years for IQ2xx production to finish, but still 10 years of service/repair should occur after that.

They have a good website, for product and supplier details - all engineering works and software is done via approved and certified dealers.

Hope this helps.

Trend Beasties

Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    >IQ251 controller is still current and if so how long has it got to run in its present format

It’s a beast and still in production. I have not heard anything that would indicate they are going to discontinue it, but we do not use many of them here.
    Thanks orion they are a beast thats for sure but tough and durable I must say thanks for the feedback

Thanks loopy

Quote Originally Posted by Control Loopy View Post
    Trend Control Systems is based in Horsham, Sussex in the UK - and is now part of the Honeywell group. They are the market leader in controls in the UK.

The IQ251 is the largest IO point count controller of the IQ2xx range and has been around for 10+ years. Both it and its predessors IQ151+ and IQ151 are top notch and just keep on trucking.

In 20 years never really had a problem with any one of them.

There is now a series 3 set of controllers IQ3xx, which are completely different - having CAT5 network structure and different software assembly routines, etc.

Talk of around 5 years for IQ2xx production to finish, but still 10 years of service/repair should occur after that.

They have a good website, for product and supplier details - all engineering works and software is done via approved and certified dealers.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Loopy it does help a lot. I contacted Trend via the website and got a Letterheaded repli in just an hour or two. Great service I must say. Yes we have literally hundreds installed over a number of sites here. In one area its consistently about 38-42 DegC and about 80-90%RH and those Beasts have been chugging awaysince the 90's happily crunching their code. They sure seem reliable. But there does seem to ba alack of imagination on the programming side. Is the Trend code poweful? Is it line code or object oriented? The gear seems vey "Satcwellesque" in some ways as in large point counts is the coding similar? Purely for interest here as I think the code jocks this end need some education. We have a lot of IQ3 on another site...doesnt seem as well put together....there are lots and lots of 3 controllers with no IO being used as log archives....wierd....sort of seemed a misapplication ut have been assured that needs to be like that to hold the Trend data. This ends up causing huge traffic overheads on the network. Although I do suspect a LON comms issue could also be a culprit. there are many 1000's of VAV and they are IQL's to a 3 extend...(which seems like a Lon to Trend gateway). This site is big. They also had some really big probs on the when they installed the BACNet gateway to the Honeywell system.......big issues but that seems to be sorted. you had any experience with any of the above? Be nice if you could give some feedback if you did.
    We are doing some project work on these sites and integrating certain aspects of the trend and several other brands into a Tridium package so they have a global view. The Trend side is by far the largest portion
    Cheers PBW

PBW - your traffic will almost certainly be Lon - Trend related - it is not somethng that they do well.
    I was in a Trend SI for about 10 years so have seen all from IQ1 to IQ3 - they are heading in the right direction!.
    The Trend programming tool (SET) is not very imaginitive. As you say the programming modules are in no way fancy but you can do everything you need.
    All IQ2 controllers are very robust - I only did a couple of IQ 3 jobs a couple of years ago (I am no longer in a Trend SI) bu tthe only problem then was SET - it was a bit buggy.

Regarding BACnet - I have been told that future (or possibly just newly available) IQ3s are to be native BACNet so your gateway issues should go away on future jobs.
    gnomethang

Thanks Gnomethang

Thanks for that Gnome thang,

For sure the guys I have see driving the system see athat set is a bit of an issue. Reassuring I am at least looking up the write tree with the traffic issues. Thanks for your comments, really appreciated.

Cheers
    PBW

>are lots and lots of 3 controllers with no IO being used as log archives....wierd....sort of seemed a misapplication ut have been assured that needs to be like that to hold the Trend data. This ends up causing huge traffic overheads on the network. Although I do suspect a LON comms issue could also be a culprit. there are many 1000's of VAV and they are IQL's to a 3 extend...(which seems like a Lon to Trend gateway).

The IQLs only have 1 plot channel for trending, the IQ3s must be pulling all the rest of the data that you want to trend and storing it within.

If you have a 1000+ IQL modules all tied to one Extend, I would say that you would surly have issues. All that data on 1 FT-10 channel is going to be like flying a 747 though a keyhole. When I layout big installations like this, I don't put more than 200-300 lon devices to the Extend. Never have issues with too much traffic.

>are lots and lots of 3 controllers with no IO being used as log archives....wierd....sort of seemed a misapplication ut have been assured that needs to be like that to hold the Trend data. This ends up causing huge traffic overheads on the network. Although I do suspect a LON comms issue could also be a culprit. there are many 1000's of VAV and they are IQL's to a 3 extend...(which seems like a Lon to Trend gateway).

The IQLs only have 1 plot channel for trending, the IQ3s must be pulling all the rest of the data that you want to trend and storing it within.

If you have a 1000+ IQL modules all tied to one Extend, I would say that you would surly have issues. All that data on 1 FT-10 channel is going to be like flying a 747 though a keyhole. When I layout big installations like this, I don't put more than 200-300 lon devices to the Extend. Never have issues with too much traffic.
    Orion, are the 3Xtends better than the Linc/Lonc solution?. We had a site with a couple of Trend extended networks on a LON to Tridium. The other LON devices were perfectly happy but the Trend Kit fell over because of the comms traffic (which eas not awfully excessive).
    We ended up putting a Learning Router in which helped the Trend LINC and LONC stay on its their feet.

We had a play with the 3Xtend but no-one could get it to talk over the LON side!. Any future tips??

Regards,

Barry
    gnomethang

>the 3Xtends better than the Linc/Lonc solution?.

Far better. However 1000+ lon devices with all the trending won't be pretty.

>but no-one could get it to talk over the LON side

The extend cannot be Lon managed as of yet, if that’s what your asking. It only brings the Trend Lon devices to Ethernet. It will not replace a Lonc. Nothing stopping you from tossing it to the curb and use something else to get at all the Lon devices on the FT-10 side.

The best way for us to get Native Lon points back & forth is the Loytec L-Gate and pull everything Bacnet. Linc/lonc are boat anchors, and the XNC / ilon is a mess also IMO.

>the 3Xtends better than the Linc/Lonc solution?.

Far better. However 1000+ lon devices with all the trending won't be pretty.

>but no-one could get it to talk over the LON side

The extend cannot be Lon managed as of yet, if that’s what your asking. It only brings the Trend Lon devices to Ethernet. It will not replace a Lonc. Nothing stopping you from tossing it to the curb and use something else to get at all the Lon devices on the FT-10 side.

The best way for us to get Native Lon points back & forth is the Loytec L-Gate and pull everything Bacnet. Linc/lonc are boat anchors, and the XNC / ilon is a mess also IMO.
    Thanks for that Confirmation!
    This was Strictly a Trend to Lon so we did not have the choice, but being Ex-Trend I was looking at things a bit more critically for solutions.

Barry
    gnomethang