Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My husband signed a contract :0

We have gotten 3 bids and none to my knowledge have done a manual J or D. All have done a room by room analysis. The company he signed w/ was the lowest by a little and is our current service company. Do these sound ok?
    Carrier Infinity 95% AFUE variable speed 110k BUT gas furnace #58MVC110-20
    Carrier Infinity 21 SEER 2-spd puron 4 ton condensing unit #24ANA148A003
    high effic. evaporator coil #C60A210C52
    Carrier Infinity digital/programmable therm #SYSTXCCUID01 (not an IAQ, right? good enuf?)
    Carrier EZ flex air filter media

We had originally talked about the 80% but today when he met w/ the guy, he went w/ the 95%. We currently have a Trane 80%. We have a basement, main floor & top floor - 2400 sq ft, 800 addt'l in basement (we have a heat n glo down there so no need for that area and stays cool in the summer).
    Please advise if this looks correct/matching and what changes we should make.
    Thanks very much.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    All great stuff.

Infinity Contol(thermostat) is tops to.

Yes ,we sell Carrier.

You won't be disappointed in the equipment,but the sizing and install can be another issue.

Are they a CFAD company,check Carrier's website?If yes you have a one year satisfaction or your money back, guaranteed by Carrier Corp.,so sizing and install best be right or they won't last.

Thanks dash. Just checked the website and yes they are. Also have 5 yr warranty on their labor. Makes me feel a lot better spending that kind of money!!

I wouldnt be too worried about sizing if it worked good before, with the variable speed and 2 stage equipment your comfort level should improve and unless they are modifying the ductwork it is going to be the same anyway

Furnace sizing seems awfully high for Hotlanta. Maybe they have to go that big to match the A/C. If that house were here with typical windows & insulation, where it gets -10 in the winter, we'd probably be around 90K on a 95% furnace. Might be something to ask them about.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Furnace sizing seems awfully high for Hotlanta. Maybe they have to go that big to match the A/C. If that house were here with typical windows & insulation, where it gets -10 in the winter, we'd probably be around 90K on a 95% furnace. Might be something to ask them about.

I agree. Furnace sounds large enough for 3 houses in that region!

Most of the Infinity/MVP units come with wide range ECM fans - so you should be able to get a 60K unit (furnace) capable of moving 4-tons of air.

I've got a 2,500 sf house with a full basement and a MVP 58 (58K) up here in the NE - and have no problem keeping the house 68 to 70 when it is near 0 here.

Even on low speed - a unit that oversized will cause big temperature swings when it is running. I would definately look into downsizing that component.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie in ATL View Post
    We have gotten 3 bids and none to my knowledge have done a manual J or D. All have done a room by room analysis. The company he signed w/ was the lowest by a little and is our current service company. Do these sound ok?
    Carrier Infinity 95% AFUE variable speed 110k BUT gas furnace #58MVC110-20
    Carrier Infinity 21 SEER 2-spd puron 4 ton condensing unit #24ANA148A003
    high effic. evaporator coil #C60A210C52
    Carrier Infinity digital/programmable therm #SYSTXCCUID01 (not an IAQ, right? good enuf?)
    Carrier EZ flex air filter media

We had originally talked about the 80% but today when he met w/ the guy, he went w/ the 95%. We currently have a Trane 80%. We have a basement, main floor & top floor - 2400 sq ft, 800 addt'l in basement (we have a heat n glo down there so no need for that area and stays cool in the summer).
    Please advise if this looks correct/matching and what changes we should make.
    Thanks very much.
    I don't think there is a 58MVC110-20. There is a 58MVC100-20 and a 58MVC120-20. The 80% furnace does come in a 110,000 BTU input size. Are you sure about the model number and size?

It does say 58MVC110-20.
    the 80% was58CVA0110-20

sorry - and they both say variable speed 110,000 BTU

the other company that quoted it didn't give a model #

Something is not right. The 80% furnace with 110,000 BTU input will have an 88,000 BTU output. A 95% furnace with 100,000 BTU input yields 95,000 BTU output. You may be able to go down to a 80,000 BTU input, which would supply 76,000 BTUs.

You need to get all the models carefully documented on the quote, and ask how the size was determined.

Why would he sign a contract with someone that guesses at capacity? That's insane.

If he wants to go with that company at least have them do a detailed load analysis to fine tune the equipment selection.

If they refuse then get out of the contract before the work begins.

Dont think you can get less than a 90k input with a 5 ton blower, but that would probably be closer, at first stage heat though you will only be at 60k with the 110 or 50k btu with the 90k, or in that area. Would be a good idea to get a heat pump, and only use the gas when it gets below freezing. Maybe ask what they would upgrade you to a heat pump for.

So...I called the guy today and asked him if he had done a load analysis or calculation and he goes on about how expensive it is and blah, blah, blah. He's never done one but he's coming out tomorrow to do one. He used to be a tech and is just moving into sales (the guy that used to do the analysis left for another career)...I'm getting together as much info as possible to see if we can get anything close to right. No matter what, I know I'll feel better about spending a lot of money if I have some science behind it....I think

Quote Originally Posted by newbie in ATL View Post
    So...I called the guy today and asked him if he had done a load analysis or calculation and he goes on about how expensive it is and blah, blah, blah. He's never done one but he's coming out tomorrow to do one. He used to be a tech and is just moving into sales (the guy that used to do the analysis left for another career)...I'm getting together as much info as possible to see if we can get anything close to right. No matter what, I know I'll feel better about spending a lot of money if I have some science behind it....I think
    Run as fast as you can! This company has "hack" written all over it! They guess at capacity to avoid buying and learning how to do manual J's. The tech has become a "newbie" salesman and the salesman has bailed. I wonder who the new tech is? (the secretary???)

Maybe you can find an ATL based pro here. See if our member "GA Hvac tech" works your area. Tell your husband he's relived of his HVAC hiring duties and you'll take over.

Good luck!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast