What are your thoughts.........

As a group, what are your thoughts on a fellow employee that runs to the boss every time they have a "problem" (the problem being a comment made jokingly, and not a comment of a suggestive or offensive nature) with you instead of just coming to you instead? And how would you deal with them?
    A lack of planning on your part does not constitute a state of emergency on my part.

In my mind, employees are either an A, B, or a C.

An A is rare. the kind who will run through walls for you, stays up nights over details.

Most employees are a B. They show up on time, do what is asked, and go home at 5.

A C is a dead weight employee. Actually brings down morale. Never happy, always being treated unfairly, most always has a chip on their shoulder.

As a leader, I fire all C employees right away. Who will influence your Bs? The As or the Cs??? Answer is BOTH. I can tell by your Q that this guy is not good for you, a great employee, to work with. He makes you not want to come to work. He's a PIA. I fire um on sight, and have a happy crew. Let um work for the competition. If your boss doesnt understand that, he is lacking in leadership skills.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Ignore him.If he sucks hell probably just quit anyways.
    Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Good answer Cropduster. I liked that.

I would just be very professional with him. No jokes, small talk etc, just business. Time will take care of him.

I've worked with people like this. Just ignore them. Say hello in the morning and thats it.If they want to make conversation with you ,give them as short a reply as possible - "yep, nope, idunno..." If he asks if somethings wrong just say "nope" and thats it. Eventually he'll get the hint and stay away. Don't go running to your boss or you'll both end up looking like kids, and dont confront him or you'll cause more problems for yourself.

There is someone like this at every job you go to.

I got one who wanders around all day looking for things that he's not responsible for being wrong and trying to get someone in trouble and another who does almost nothing all day except tell you you're doing it all wrong and should do it his way. Needless to say nothing's getting done!
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by simplyrollin View Post
    There is someone like this at every job you go to.
    I worked with three of them at my last job. All of them were women.

I can't discriminate as a business owner in my hiring practices, but...
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

pipe wrenches do fall from high places.

Those types are all over the place dude. That situation is why I left my last job. There is almost always the service manager's buddy who finds something he can pin on someone or blame his mistakes on without getting so much as a hint of blame or man up to a mistake. I know the 2 I used to have to deal with moved on to where they will eventually run down another business.

That is why I work alone. It wasn't the cry babies ( who are always the most least suited for the trade ) as much as the druggies. Coke heads are real problem in the trades here.

Quote Originally Posted by deux View Post
    That is why I work alone. It wasn't the cry babies ( who are always the most least suited for the trade ) as much as the druggies. Coke heads are real problem in the trades here.

Drugs are the problem everywhere.
    Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.