R2 Websupervisor on XP Home

R2 Websupervisor on XP Home

I had a customer load their Websupervisor on a XP Home PC after the XP Pro PC failed. Will this work? Currently they cannot open the stations on the Jaces or the Websup in WPP on the machine. The admintool opens and the stations are running.

Are all the needed modules loaded on the supervisor machine?

Check for third-party virus-scan software trapping this as well. I've had all sorts of r2 connectivity issues clear up once you disable the virus/firewall software; perhaps try temporarily disabling the Windows firewall as well.

Wow, lots of questions. A customer installed WPP?? Can they ping the jaces? maybe the old pc had a static address and the new one is dynamic? I know when I install WPP even though it runs it cannot open any jaces until it is licensed for that machine. CAn they fully open the stations in WPP? Maybe the new computer has the new Java defect.
    Goto Java in the control panel>advanced> and uncheck the box that says something like 'enable next (new) generation java. I also had one do this because of the Fiewall. You may need to disable it or create an exception.
    Second place is the first loser.

Ididnt think R2 ran properly on Home....think there were some services issues...anyway if it works good luck.

Everything is configured correctly, all firewalling is disabled, IPs are static and correct. The customer is the IT dept. and I helped them load and lic the server. As I stated before, the stations are running when veiwed in admintool, but cannot be opened in WPP. I am looking for someone who has tried running XP Home and had the same failure mode.

Home is the issue I think....

I am reasonably sure that using XP home is the issue.
    Remote Desktop and Internet Information Services are not loaded on Home. Intellimirror which hosts a plethora of change and config services is not in either.
    IIS is used by R2 and AX I think.
    Simple TCP/IP is not included in Home. And you cant log on to a domain in Home as the domain.group policy is not supported.
    I looked through some docs and never saw anywhere that Home can be used as a server. The stations amy run...but you wont be able to log on.

But I am probably wrong.

Happy hunting!!

Quote Originally Posted by PBW28 View Post
    I am reasonably sure that using XP home is the issue.
    Remote Desktop and Internet Information Services are not loaded on Home. Intellimirror which hosts a plethora of change and config services is not in either.
    IIS is used by R2 and AX I think.
    Simple TCP/IP is not included in Home. And you cant log on to a domain in Home as the domain.group policy is not supported.
    I looked through some docs and never saw anywhere that Home can be used as a server. The stations amy run...but you wont be able to log on.

But I am probably wrong.

Happy hunting!!
    Home edition doesn't have TCP/IP?? Must make it difficult to connect to websites...
    Remote desktop is available on home but IIS is not. It can be added though.

The only "real" difference is that XP HOME will not resolve itself to a domain name. Every (don't take that literally) other difference can be accommodated in configuration.

WebSupervisor is fairly OS autonomous, meaning you should be able to work around the issue. Since I don't know the exact problem you're having I can't provide an exact solution. Where are the requests being "stopped", is Windows allowing traffic to the application, is the application properly configured, is your machine using a static IP or DHCP, and how are you trying to connect to the machine remotely?

edit: Credit given to the original author which is not myself. I've done this but copy/paste is easier than typing it all out and I'm all about easy: http://gr0w.com/articles/help/how_to...tion/index.php

Windows XP Home Edition can run an IIS Web Server.

Yes you can install a web server on XP!

The following steps describe how to get IIS web server installed and running on Windows XP Home Edition, which according to official documentation is not possible.

This process assumes that you have CD's of Windows 2000 (Server or Professional) and Windows XP (Professional or Home).

1. Locate and edit the file C:WINDOWSINFSYSOC.INF
    2. Find a line which should look like this (should be in section called [Components]): iis=iis.dll,OcEntry,iis.inf,hide,7
    3. Change it to this: iis=iis2.dll,OcEntry,iis2.inf,,7
    4. Copy iis.dl_ , iis.in_ and IISsuba.dl_ from i386 directory of Win2k Pro cd to a temporary directory on your hard drive (e.g. c:temp). From the Run dialog type (note the outputs for the first two modules are renamed versions):
    1. EXPAND c:tempIIS.DL_ c:tempIIS2.DLL
    2. EXPAND c:tempIIS.IN_ c:tempIIS2.INF
    3. EXPAND c:tempIISsuba.dl_ c:tempIISsuba.dll
    5. Copy IIS2.DLL to c:WindowsSystem32Setup, IIS2.INF to c:WindowsINF, and IISsuba.dll to c:WindowsSystem32
    6. Open the Control Panel. Select the “Add Windows Programs”. IIS and its options should now appear. If it does not, check the SYSOC.INF file and confirm the “hide” keyword was removed during the edit.
    7. When you close the dialog, it will prompt you for necessary files from both the WinXP CD and the Win2000 CD. In one case, it may ask for the WinXP Pro CD, but it will accept the WinXP Home CD.
    8. Test the program by entering http://localhost in your browser.

There you have it. You should now be able to get to your Internet Services Manager (IIS control) from Control Panel's Administrative Tools.

In the event of any problems, you may also consider installing the following modules into System32:

* IIS.MS_
    * IISADMIN.DL_
    * IISCHEMA.DL_
    * IISCLEX4.DL_
    * IISCRMAP.DL_
    * IISEXT.DL_
    * IISFECNV.DL_
    * IISLOG.DL_
    * IISMAP.DL_
    * IISNTW.CH_
    * IISPERF.PM_
    * IISRESET.EX_