general rule of thumb for chiller water flow

i know one gpm reading dose not fit all when checking water flow on condensors and evaporators for chillers, and i am talking about [r-22] + 40 EVAPORATOR, i have always used 2.4 gpm for evap , and 2.3 gpm for condensor for a ballpark number for checking flow,been doing it that way 30 + years and now i am told that is to low of a gpm to use. this is a 200 ton chiller that has no problems that i can find, doing 10 degress on cond and 10 degress on evap. this is a 10 degree machine. would like some feed back as to what gpm numbers some of you out there are using or your input.thanks

3 gpm condenser 2.8 evap

r404a

I agree with r404a to some extent. The 3.0 gpm condenser water and 2.8 chilled water flows would be typical max flow rates at 10 degrees. However we also need to consider the minimum flow rates as well. It is not uncommon to see minimum flow rates of 2.4 gpm condenser water and 2.0 gpm chilled water.

Also the flow rates are based on the entering water temperatures of 85 condenser water and 55 chilled water.

With the current evolution in heat exchangers today I find the flow rates to be lower.
    I recently commissioned a 500 ton Climate Craft modular plant, with dual circuits plates which required 2.0 gpm per ton chilled water. The design schedule has the chiller at 12 degrees with entering water temperatures of 54 and leaving at 42. To acheive a 12 degree delta the system flow had to be reduced to 2.0 gpm tons chilled water.

3 gpm/ton on condenser and 2.4 gpm/ton on evap will give you 10* delta T on both

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    3 gpm/ton on condenser and 2.4 gpm/ton on evap will give you 10* delta T on both
    What he said!
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

Smile

hey thanks for your replys to my thread, i was starting to wonder if after all these years i was going crazy, again if you want the real deal you guys are the best,again thanks for your time

Good Information

I realize the question was specific to a "rule of thumb" and there were plenty of good answers.

However, it is always good to know what the design flow is suppose to be. This would also include min & max flows particularly in today's energy efficient climate of variable primary loops & variable flow loops for condenser pumps.
    All my leon freaked out!