Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R22 to R410a

R22 to R410a

I just go a HVAC system installed by an installer and got screwed. He installed a lenox Concord R22, I asked for a R410 .. now my question, is it possible actually, to convert a R22 to a R410 unit? or does the complete attic and outside unit need to be changed out? its a split system..not that I'm wanting to do it now. its just a question.

physically possible yes, logical no. the system designs are 180' out of phase, if you get my drift..

my system just got installed so, what is the usual turnarround to get the freeon reacharged? or can I actually ask something like that?

Not possible to convert the condensor.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

You can probably keep the inside unit. Just change the txv valve. Lennox sells their cased coils that way. You just install proper txv. The outside will have to be changed out. No way around that. If you signed for an R410 unit. They need to give you an R410 unit.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by flavor4real View Post
    my system just got installed so, what is the usual turnarround to get the freeon reacharged? or can I actually ask something like that?
    No additional refrigerant is needed ,unless it leaks out,so no scheduled time.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    You can probably keep the inside unit. Just change the txv valve. Lennox sells their cased coils that way. You just install proper txv. The outside will have to be changed out. No way around that. If you signed for an R410 unit. They need to give you an R410 unit.
    Yeah you could keep the indoor unit if it is also available in r410a. And I would have the coil changed not just the txv, the r22 oil has already circulated through the coil and it is virtually impossible to get it out of the coil.
    If you signed a contract and it was for a r410a sys, then that what you paid for they should replace all components and put in what you bought.
    Make sure they flush the lineset to get all the oil out of it before they connect the new equipment.
    Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

The condensor unit and coil/TXV have to be replaced. jdrob12000 already said that coil is well circulated with oil for R22 that's not compatible with r410 lubricant, although modern coils can withstand both R22 and R410a pressures. But Condensor/compressor is specificly designed for R22, R410a system is running at a much higher pressure. You should demand a replacement if your contract says R410a. Insist on a new line set too, there's no reason for you to accept a "flushed" R22 line set for other's mistake. All flushings are not equal, you may not have short-term problems with a flushed R22 lineset on R410a, but any trace of oil will slowly destroy the R410a system.

A side note, R22 is no less efficient than R410a, R22 will be available for at least 20 more years from now, there's some blends on the market that claims to be a direct drop-in for R22. So I don't know why the fuss about not having R410a, other than pure marketing reasons. Forget about the O3 depletion by R22, R12 and older appliances will do it way before R22 gets to it.

I hope he used RX-11 flush on your lineset.......

Quote Originally Posted by seanddd View Post
    The condensor unit and coil/TXV have to be replaced. jdrob12000 already said that coil is well circulated with oil for R22 that's not compatible with r410 lubricant, although modern coils can withstand both R22 and R410a pressures.
    MO and POE oil mix together very well. R410A does not mix with MO though.

Read some of RobY's post.
    He's from National Refrigerants. And has several post about mixing POE and MO oil.

And the possible benefits of it in certain applications.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
    I hope he used RX-11 flush on your lineset.......
    Many manufactures recommend using ONLY nitrogen as a flush, unless replaced system was a burnout.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

im thinking of scaling on the tubing walls that can remix into the sytem. also in underground lines with oil traps.. still only nitro?

So Beenthere, do you think "flushed" lineset is acceptable for R22-to-R410a? Couple of years back I had an old R22 line set traveling inside the exterior wall before exiting, sizes were all ok. We ended up replacing the unit with another R22. Never tried a flushed R22 line for R410a replacement ever.

How reliable are the available flushing methods? Do you have a preferred one and why?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast