How come no heat!

Call today where the lady says no matter what I set the thermostat on I don't get any heat.

Actually, it's suppose to be this way cause it's cooling only in this set-up. The house is heated by radiant heat and the lady just didn't understand. Four other thermostats control the heating, which I'm replacing with non-programmable T'Stats.

The home was remodeled and no one ever told her the thermostat she was adjusting was for cooling unit only. She's been this way for 3 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

so she was so;d a gas pack and

she only gets use out of the cooling??

preemptive strike ?--------waiting for boiler to take a dump?????
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

No Heat

Brings back memories -

We took over the service contract of a chain of Mac's Stores ( like a 7-11) in Saskatchewan. The store was about 1.5 years old and we hadn't done a first service yet, but I got a no heat call. It was minus 40 F.

The store had a pile of self contained pop coolers and the like, so there was lots of internal heat load. The previous winter was a warm one by Prairie standards, only down to - 30 F a couple times

I go up on the roof, there sat a 5 ton Carrier with the induced draft motor running, and a pretty good snow bank in in front and beside the unit where the gas line was to enter - I dug out the panel to get at the heating parts - saw the same thing as the posted photo - red plug in the gas valve - I knew there was gas on the roof, so I dug out the gas line side - gas line, gas cock closed and capped

Nice commissioning by the General Contractor ( who did the service for the first year till we got it ) - I measured it up, got the fittings and it ran like a dream. I asked the manager if they had been uncomfortable last year, to which he replied, no, this was the first time. Just goes to show how much internal heat load can be when there is lots of S/C equipment.

Freonguy
    Superheat and subcooling tell it all !

Funny how people can do things like that. There is a national chain retail store near here that was using a bunch of electric heat RTUs. When it came time to replace them they had gas pipe installed so they could use cheaper natural gas for heat. Contractor set all the new RTUs in place on the roof before anyone noticed they were all ordered electric again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch77 View Post
    Funny how people can do things like that. There is a national chain retail store near here that was using a bunch of electric heat RTUs. When it came time to replace them they had gas pipe installed so they could use cheaper natural gas for heat. Contractor set all the new RTUs in place on the roof before anyone noticed they were all ordered electric again.
    "I did check the delivery manifest."
    Psalm 51:10, 12

Talking

Wow, someone should have told this person all they had to do was forget hooking up the white wire if they wanted a call back. What were they thinking.

Bet the heat exchanger is good shape
    NO Brains NO Headaches

So I go back today to remove the three heat only thermostats that are Honeywell programable Tstats that she can't figure out. I replace the three with the little T8775 heat only tstat that are connected to the zone valves by two wires, right. Can't get any simplier than that. Nice TStats too. First time I've use them.

And I label the T8000 hallway thermostat that is connected to the roof top package unit shown above which is used for cooling only. Go through the process of making it non-programmable, put it on "cool" and show her and let her raise & lower the set point so she now knows how to control the A/C in her home. And I tell her that is all she has to do, raise or lower the set point...leave all the other buttons alone.

All finished right? Nope. She has tried to turn on the A/C thermostat 4 or 5 times while I was working and can't figure it out. She has pressed all the buttons and put it in the heat mode again. So I show her all over again.

The neighbor comes over and tells me she just kind of doesn't get things. So he stands behind her and signals me everytime I should answer her questions or if I should side step them. Cracked me up.

She was finally happy when I left but I have that feeling I might be married to her for a few weeks to come. I think she is related to Lucy.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835