+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another unit used during construction

Post Likes

Angry

This unit is 2 months old.

I'm working with an inspector to change the code here in Oregon. Hopefully it'll fly and stop this.

The one next door is in the same condition. This is what I'm trying to change. Breath that air!

When I had explained to the contractor about indoor air quality.

He said "Oh all my tenants are going to die".
    What the pictures don't say, the contractor did.

[Edited by Boss on 12-29-2003 at 01:49 PM]
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

Post Likes

Angry Bad> to>the>Bone

Whoever ran that machine should be made to pay for the clean-up of it. If the tape-bed guy's had us stab holes into there sheetrock or use a razor knife down the seam of a couple of walls maybe they would think about running our units to keep warm....

I see this alot to around Dallas~Ft. Worth........

Pisssssssss me Off to no end..............

Had a guy spraying black enamal paint on dance studio spiral (hard pipe) ductwork...Walls and ceiling were also sprayed black.He took great care to cover new hardwood floor with tape plastic. "Told him not to run system while he was spraying".Came back to find filter black ,blower black inside ductwork black..... Took pictures called general contractor and owner of center. He had to pay clean up and was not paid for his work until we signed off of job....Nice pictures can speak volumes......
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    And we're expected to make it all look new again! A certain amount of that dust will always be in there. I see it frequently also.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes
    I don't see any of those furnaces here in Phoenix.
    Is that a Coleman/EVcon or an Armsgtrong or something?
    Heaven forbid, it looks like they did Carrier's trick and ran the damn flue pipe in front of the blower section!
    I hate that.

Post Likes
    It's an Armstrong dn flow. I think that when I get called back to unplug the sensing line for the combustion fan motor, It wont be a warrantee call.

Post Likes
    Really F###n something,
    I just finished two jobs one was a heat pump with a Lifebreath Clean Air furnace as backup and another heat pump with an Armstrong 95% 2 stg/varialble and both customers asked if they could us the equipment to heat during construction. Boy did I get pissed and torn into them I can't understand where people can even get an idea like that, I mean they can't all be brain dead or maybe they are. Actually the first job it was the contractor that asked to use the equipment, and I use the word contractor very loosely.

Post Likes
    One time a builder ran an extension cord to the new furance, and had it running.. We told the electrion not to wire the furnace till the sheetrocking was done..

Well, the builder end up burning up the blower motor since the fiberglass filter was soo caked up w/ sheet rock dust, it caved in and caught into the blower cage. He got the bill on that one!

Post Likes

"That crap you put in stinks!"

Customer painted some funky-ass paint over the new steam pipes. They were ready to close their shop till they realized if masked the BO of one of the employees.

Post Likes

Talking Re:

Originally posted by Stamis
    "That crap you put in stinks!"** some funky-ass to close ill mask the BO. **
    Oops -I wish I could get that quote thing down. I think I know what your saying. Thank you for taking a personal interest.

Post Likes
    I do not understand the logistics of this idiocity when one can just use a salamandar heater.

Post Likes
    Hate to say this, but you should plan for that. On new construction I disable the airhandlers until I want to start them.

Post Likes

Cool Yep

I rarely do any new const. but if this is a constant problem for you, I agree with james totally disable them take the dang breakers with you untill everybodys done and you get paid.

I know it sucks going back but if it prevents whats in those picures, I think it is worth it, that unit wont ever be as clean as it was unless you take it all apart and use a water hose.
    I will be on the look out for that kind of stuff.

Post Likes

Cool Yep

I rarely do any new const. but if this is a constant problem for you, I agree with james totally disable them take the dang breakers with you untill everybodys done and you get paid.

I know it sucks going back but if it prevents whats in those picures, I think it is worth it, that unit wont ever be as clean as it was unless you take it all apart and use a water hose.
    Thanks I will be on the look out for that kind of stuff.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by James 3528
    Hate to say this, but you should plan for that. On new construction I disable the airhandlers until I want to start them.
    My HVAC contractor offered to start the system so the drywall guys would have nice comfortable air, and I had learned enough from this forum to ask him not to. Told this to the drywall guy, and he turned even whiter than the drywall mud he was covered in, and said, "We don't EVER allow the HVAC contractors to turn on a system! We don't want to pay for having it replaced!".

Post Likes
    Yea, screw the drywall guys.

Post Likes

Angry

in our area this is a constant problem every year, 92% furnaces are the worst, the dust will plug up the secondary heat exchanger.
    our local engineers allow temporary use of new equipment into the spec's amd then make us responsible to clean the equipment and duct if it gets dirty! We end up the babysitters. We are trying to get them to change their spec's but no luck so far.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by threeputt6
    our local engineers allow temporary use of new equipment into the spec's amd then make us responsible to clean the equipment and duct if it gets dirty! We end up the babysitters.
    That ain't right. If they get it dirty, then cleaning it should never come out of your company's pocket. Too bad the engineers are screwing you this way. I don't know what can be done about it, but it is not a good practice.

I work for a owner/operator (there are just the two of us) that does all of a certain builder's homes, among other jobs. This builder insists upon having heat as soon as possible in fall and winter so that the drywallers, painters, and carpet layers can have heat in the cold weather. They do use reddy heaters when we haven't got the electric mains hooked up yet, but anytime after that we are expected to provide the heat. This builder now builds total electric homes, so we don't have to worry about dust in the draft inducer motor or anything, but the cabinet and duct system collects tremendous amounts of dust and the HO simply inherits the dust when they move in. This is how they think it should be done and how we are expected to do it. My boss goes along, since he doesn't want to lose their business. He is well past retirement age, yet wonders why I don't want to take over his operation lock and key. It's because I don't want to inherit his customers! His standards are often well below my own, even though he believes he is always doing a good job (our jobs are above average quality for this area). Running a brand new system in these conditions is simply not fair to the real customer, which is the HO. I have to just accept it, though.

Post Likes
    that is a job that can end up haunting you for a while with callbacks. as long as it's understood that each callback is billable I guess.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in